As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Clothes after c section

(22 Posts)
elliej83 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:25:58

I'm really struggling with what to wear after a c section. Everything seems to rub on my scar trousers/jeans wise and because I have to wear those daft socks for 6 weeks dresses seem out. What did everyone else wear? I just feel miserable and frumpy.

GipsyDanger Tue 01-Nov-16 15:28:02

Socks?
I lived in the maternity yoga pants from mothercare during and after my pregnancy. Very comfortable on my scar.

elliej83 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:31:19

The pressure socks you have to wear after surgery. They are white and come up to just under your knees.

Bluntness100 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:34:41

I didn't have to wear th socks for six weeks,,are you sure? That seems weird.

I wore stretchy soft clothes, long tube skirts, leggings and the like.

ChocChocPorridge Tue 01-Nov-16 15:36:01

I stopped wearing the socks after I was on my feet - no-one mentioned how long I was supposed to be wearing them for, so I assumed they were like flight socks!

I wore tight, absorbant disposable pants, then deep crotch boxers (not the hipster ones) then stretchy joggers/yoga trousers for the first couple of weeks, then I was healed enough to go to my high waisted jeans.

usernoidea Tue 01-Nov-16 15:36:24

I'm 6 weeks post c section and was told by medical staff that there was no reason to wear the socks if you're mobile .....
I just wore my maternity leggings as they didn't rub that much on my scar. If I wear anything else now I can still feel it rubbing and it's still tender x

ChocChocPorridge Tue 01-Nov-16 15:37:08

from NHS:

When compression stockings are recommended after surgery, patients are usually advised to wear them as much as possible, day and night, until they're able to move around freely. Compression stockings are used after surgery to prevent blood clots developing in the leg, which is known as deep vein thrombosis

So once you're up and about, no need to keep wearing them (especially if you're doing the jabs too I'd have thought)

SpookyPotato Tue 01-Nov-16 15:56:27

Very big leggings that came under my boobs so nothing rubbed!

eurochick Tue 01-Nov-16 16:07:51

I ditched the stockings after about 10 hours. It was July. Stuff that! I stayed in my mat dresses until I deflated.

SolomanDaisy Tue 01-Nov-16 16:10:31

Giant maternity leggings are working for me! No one has offered me socks though, but I am on the injections.

Penguina Tue 01-Nov-16 16:11:20

I have never had to wear those socks not even in surgery?!

I lived in my maternity leggings and tunics. I looked like a bloody fat slob.

elliej83 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:18:51

Love all the sock chat hehe. I didn't wear them in surgery they put them on when I came out and gave me a spare pair so I could wash them and told me to keep them on for 6 weeks. Best news I've had all day that I don't. Doesn't surprise me the amount of conflicting info you seem to get from different parts of the NHS and staff

cowbag1 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:26:27

I'm 3 weeks post elcs and I've been wearing my maternity leggings mainly. Ive also got one of these

www.amazon.co.uk/KB111-Caesarean-Belt/dp/B000VPH2PK#

which stops my maternity jeans rubbing. I've not attempted normal clothes yet. I did ditch the stockings before I left the post natal ward though!

GipsyDanger Wed 02-Nov-16 08:57:53

shock I never got any socks at all!!
Then again I was walking about 4 hours after my emcs maybe I didn't need them.

Lules Wed 02-Nov-16 09:17:39

I might check about the socks because there might be a specific reason why you've been told to wear them - I had tonnes of swelling in my legs and feet so was told to wear them until it had gone down. I wore opaque tights over them with dresses.

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 03-Nov-16 11:29:11

Another one here who ditched the socks! I was in hospital for 10 days and told I should wear them whilst there but I slacked them off after a few days as they were digging in left right and centre and I thought they were more likely to give me a blood clot! As another poster said I'd check there is no reason specific to you that you have to wear them for longer, if it's the hospitals standard advice I'd be tempted to slack them off. Maternity dresses were all I wore after my c-section, still wearing them 4 months down the line to be honest!

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 03-Nov-16 13:15:19

I didn't even have to wear the socks at all this time, or jab myself. The mw didn't expand on why, I didn't meet criteria apparently.

But that's by the bye.

I wore yoga pants and leggings at home, and I had a soft jersey maxi skirt I wore when I needed to go out. It sat around my waist and fell straight down over my scar, quite comfy.

Congratulations too!

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 03-Nov-16 13:16:37

Oh yes I wore my maternity jeans after, but probably not until at least a month after. I was sad when I wore them out.

Artandco Thu 03-Nov-16 13:30:37

Dresses easiest. Can wear with shitty socks in hospital a day if needed, and just wear leggings or tights under. Tights can go over socks if needed.

bobbinpop Tue 22-Nov-16 23:37:31

Im struggling with lack of clothes too! Gap yoga trousers (soooo comfy) and leggings are all I wear at the moment!

Brittanyspears Sun 27-Nov-16 16:43:09

I wasnt given socks, but I had to inject my stomach for 5 days with anti clot meds. I bulk bought high waisted leggings and over sized shirts from asos! High waisted jeans and knickers are fabulous too.

jelliebelly Sun 27-Nov-16 16:45:11

Stretchy maternity leggings/yoga pants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now