As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Post natal insomnia

(3 Posts)
Force12 Sun 16-Oct-16 12:25:55

Also posted in mental health

I've been suffering from insomnia on and off since my daughter was born 10 months ago. My issue is early morning wakening, 5am on a good day, 2 or 3am on a bad day and I'm unable to go back to sleep. DD sleeps through the night now, fortunately. On the occasion when she does wake I struggle to fall back asleep.

I'm at the end of my tether having tried non medical approaches including sleep hygiene, cbt, acupuncture, hypnotherapy.

GP gave me a prescription for amitriptyline 50mg but the sedation affect wore off after a couple of weeks and even after trying a higher dose of 75mg last night I still woke about 3.30am.

Is this unusual? Everything I had read about amitriptyline suggested the affect wouldn't wear off... so I am feeling very disappointed about that as I had slept well on it for about a week.

I'm going back to the GP on Monday.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should be asking for? Any other medications that might help?

I'm feeling so low about this and at the end of my tether after months of insomnia (albeit on and off).

Thanks in advance

RattyCatty Fri 21-Oct-16 14:26:55

I am struggling with this too, it's not nice, you have my sympathies.

My baby is 9 months old. I haven't been to GP as a few friends have said they also suffered and that it will improve. I try to deep breath and tell myself that the body is clever and if I really needed to be asleep I would sleep. It will pass. flowers

idontlikealdi Fri 21-Oct-16 14:31:53

I was like this, babies starting sleeping and I couldn't. It does pass but it's shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now