As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

The mirena coil

(9 Posts)
youngmummy3105 Tue 11-Oct-16 23:03:16

I had the Mirena put in 8 weeks after my emergency c-section and on the day I was due to have it put in I started my period, however it was extremely light and lasted two days. Since then I haven't had a period. This was 11 weeks ago, I have very light bleeding quite a lot, randomly and also the next day after sex sometimes although that has died down now and doesn't really happen anymore. It is very light to the point where I have to put tissue in my pants rather than a pad. Why is this? Is it normal? What does it mean?

Bubspub Sun 30-Oct-16 18:56:33

Yes it's normal, you can be left having no periods at all, or just very light ones. Don't know the science behind it but I have one and have the same thing. I think it's great x

youngmummy3105 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:35:43

Bubspub : I agree I think it's great too! Just wasn't sure if it was normal or not! Thank yousmile x

Bubspub Sun 30-Oct-16 19:54:09

Yes it's a total bonus! I only wish I'd got mine sooner, I think they're brilliant x

phoebe2016 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:11:44

Hi OP, it is totally normal. I had 2 mirena coils in the space of 10yrs and I had no periods the whole time. It was great! Lol. Most people find they either get lighter or stop altogether.

AuditAngel Mon 31-Oct-16 00:24:34

Mine only came back when coil was overdue for replacing

IhatchedaSnorlax Mon 31-Oct-16 00:32:45

As others said, totally normal. I get light spotting each month - barely anything at all.

2Bottledup Mon 31-Oct-16 00:59:03

Lucky you, lol.

I had one fitted at the start of the year as I'd been bleeding almost continuously for 8months (very heavily) and I still haven't really stopped bleeding yet, apart from the odd week here and there. It isn't as heavy anymore though. Found out that I had endometriosis at the same time.

onecrazycook Thu 22-Dec-16 20:23:00

I too have had a Mireya fitted, in my case, following a miscarriage. I had it put in during my ERPC in October and have only had 14 non bleeding days since. I'm having far worse period pains than before and i haven't had sex now since September. So fed up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now