As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Baby blues

(7 Posts)
feelinglostanddown Sun 09-Oct-16 19:36:06

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice. I had my baby 5 days ago and yesterday and today I have not been feeling myself. I am almost constantly crying and have been feeling completely overwhelmed at my new responsibility as a parent.

I am trying to breastfeed but I am really not enjoying it. I feel terribly guilty that I am feeling like this and feel so lost, anxious and like I'm on the edge of a mental breakdown.

I've suffered with depression in the last year and I'm terrified that this will develop into postnatal depression.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through this? I'm feeling so down and like I should never have had a baby which is a terrible thing to say.

My milk came in today and it has been very painful. I know this causes a flood of hormones so I'm hoping that my body will adjust soon and these feelings will go away?

feelinglostanddown Mon 10-Oct-16 01:56:28

Anyone?

LifeBeginsNow Mon 10-Oct-16 02:50:09

It is hard and a massive adjustment. You may start to feel better as your hormones calm down but you may need some help. I'd mention how you are feeling to the health visitor and ask for their advice.

There's no crime to needing the help and it'll be a temporary thing. You'll soon get into the swing of things and know (mostly) what the baby wants. Don't put too much pressure on yourself at this time. I'd suggest making sure you get a shower a day, eating and drinking regularly and pretty much constantly be breastfeeding the rest of the time. That does slow down but at the beginning you question whether it's too much - it isn't and is important to establish your milk.

If you can face it, take the baby for a little walk each day too as it'll be good for both of you but don't worry too much. The newborn stage is all about survival for you both. The nursery rhymes, playing and baby groups come later.

My little boy is now 15 weeks and I've had a few issues myself. Even crying every day since he was born hasn't stopped him from being able to smile (which he does a lot). He's a very happy baby and because of my problem (SPD), I've only really managed to cater for his basic needs. I've been taking anti depressants since about 2 months and am feeling better (just need my pain to go away).

Good luck and remember, don't put too much pressure on yourself. If people want to help, let them and if nobody offers and you need it, ask.

Misskatie1324 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:16:54

Hey it's so normal to feel like this the time you should worry is if it continues my babies 17 days old and I still get down days

Frazzled2207 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:31:14

Hey, please tell your midwife.
However from my experience days 5/6 are the absolute worst, I think it's proven that there is some kind of hormone crash for breastfeeders around that time

Frazzled2207 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:33:52

Sorry posted too soon
Hormones will be through the roof with your milk coming in. Anyway I recall feeling like you and it does get better, eventually you will feel yourself even if very tired for a while yet. But with your history of depression I think a good idea to ask for help now
Congratulationsflowers

Frazzled2207 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:36:04

Btw breastfeeding is a nightmare don't worry if you can't do it. I failed to bf exclusively and both of mine had a bottle or two a day from a few days old- I then combination fed for several months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now