Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

bleeding after c-section

(6 Posts)
princesaadc880829 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:34:47

Can someone tell me if this is normal..

I had a c-section 2 weeks ago and had to have a blood transfusion. I bled for a week then it stopped. Now its just started up again. is it normal or should I go see the doctor. Thanks in advance for your advice.

FantasticMax Thu 18-Aug-16 18:55:22

I haven't had a c-section but from what I've read, it can be normal for bleeding to start and stop - could be a sign you have been overdoing things? 2 weeks is nothing really, when I had a vaginal birth I bled almost continuously for 6 weeks afterwards. From what I understand the bleeding is less with a section but you could still bleed on and off for up to 6 weeks.

MamaDuckling Thu 18-Aug-16 19:05:28

I had lochia (post birth bleeding) for longer after my c-section than my natural birth..... It was white stop/start.

Normal I think, but mention to your midwife if worried?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 18-Aug-16 19:08:18

I bled on and off for over 2 months after my section .

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 18-Aug-16 19:11:56

If it starts up again after stopping it gets brighter red or heavier then it can definitely be a sign that you're doing too much. I had it a lot after my 2nd cs and it was from lifting the baby in the wrong position and carrying him up the stairs etc, nothing I saw as too strenuous. You really must take it easy.

ShowOfHands Thu 18-Aug-16 19:16:01

There's no difference in bleeding duration after a cs compared with a vaginal delivery. You bleed from the placenta site.

Stop start is normal as long as it's not clotty, smelly, painful or otherwise odd and you feel well. Slow down a bit and see how you go. It's normal to bleed for 6 weeks or more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now