Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Hello - Postnatal Anxiety, pls point me in right direction

(10 Posts)
Megabiscuits Tue 14-Jun-16 09:50:03

Morning

Name changing for this one but I'm wondering if the good people of Mumsnet can help me...

I had my baby about 5 months ago. First 8 weeks v hard, weeks 8-14 great, from 14 weeks my mental health has been going all to pot.

I'm blessed with an awesome baby; but I am starting to have irrepressible dark fears (baby dying, stopping breathing, being dropped) and developing worse versions of the fears I already have (enclosed spaces and heights). I was once a "together" strong and confident individual and now every day there is something innocuous that brings on the sweaty fear.

My GP is a bit rubbish - my HV flagged PND when I was a bit wonky postpartum and my GP disagreed - but I don't think I have PND, it's definitely Postnatal Anxiety. The symptoms read like my life right now.

Anyway, meandering post. Please can anyone recommend a psychiatrist in SE London/Surbiton that deals in postnatal anxiety? The NHS waiting list is too long and I'm frankly shit scared of my mind deteriorating further.

TIA

LaLoose Tue 14-Jun-16 11:06:03

Hello Megabiscuits,

I couldn't leave this unanswered. Though I am afraid I do NOT know a psychiatrist.

However I did have something very similar to what you describe. Are you on antidepressants? You need to go back to your GP - you owe it to your baby, if you can't do it for yourself. I waited until my twins were 18 months and - as a result - I can't remember their babyhood.

You WILL get through this. Please go back and see your GP- ring them now and get an urgent appointment.

flowers

Megabiscuits Tue 14-Jun-16 11:23:33

Loose thanks so much for this; I'm not taking ADs - I'm actually quite scared of how grotty they'll make me feel (I had them before in my early 20s after my mum died).

Thank you for your post; I'm planning on seeing where I get to with a few weeks of talking therapy; if the horrid feelings are still as manifest then I'll request ADs from the doc.

May I ask, did you begin to experience the horrid thoughts etc sometime after baby (babies?) were born? What kills is I thought I'd "dodged the bullet": I had my shit together so much a few weeks ago. Now I feel completely like a different, substandard person.

Ps: I'm in SW London, not SE! 🙄

GastonsPomPomWrath Tue 14-Jun-16 11:37:42

Hi Op. I just wanted to tell you that I know where you are right now. I had exactly what you describe after my thirdchild. I had s horrible pregnancy with her that was only made worse by my ex taking no interest and leaving me half way through.
After she was born I was so so happy, I couldn't have loved hereby more. But i had intrusive thoughts that she'd get hurt or be injured. We lived in a 3 storey house and getting downstairs everyday with her in my arms was hard. I'd slide on my bum with her wrapped against me so tightly.

My gp said it wasn't pnd and eventually it did stop and I started to feel more relaxed. I had a lovely hv who was supportive.

You're not a substandard person. You're doing brilliantly flowers

Megabiscuits Tue 14-Jun-16 13:06:09

Thanks so much Gastons; it's the feeling that it's getting worse now day by day is really upsetting me.

Anyone have any links/info for psychs/services in SW London/Surbiton? I honestly don't know where to strtb

Megabiscuits Tue 14-Jun-16 13:06:16

*start

GastonsPomPomWrath Tue 14-Jun-16 13:11:05

Have a look here Mega. You can call them and speak to someone who has personal experience with this type of anxiety.

www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help-now/anxiety-information/anxiety-disorders/post-natal-anxiety/

LaLoose Tue 14-Jun-16 14:09:52

I know I've said this already, but please go to the GP and get antidepressants. Please. I know now that you had a bad experience before, but there are lots of different sorts and there will be some that are effective for you. My treatment (NHS) was antidepressants plus CBT, which is (statistically, apparently) more effective than talking therapy alone. Also, counselling is not instant, it takes a while, and you sound distressed enough already.

I am worried that you have a) self-diagnosed and b) discounted antidepressants... Please ring that number Gastons suggested, as well.

I was on antidepressants for six months and it cleared the acute problem. But yes, I still have flashes of unwelcome thoughts. (Though I now recognise them for what they are.)

Just do everything you can to get help. Ask a friend or family member to help you to get help, too.

Megabiscuits Tue 14-Jun-16 21:19:16

Thanks guys: I really appreciate that link Gastons and LaLoose - I completely get you re self diagnosis online but honestly, it really seems to be the real deal.

I'm going to make contact with the people on the other end of the link you sent, surely they will know someone local I can speak to.

Thanks very much x

eleanorbuck Thu 16-Jun-16 19:34:38

Hey,

I'd also recommend helplines to talk things through - the amazing house of light has a free helpline (http://www.pndsupport.co.uk/) all about PNI (post natal illness, including anxiety and depression) which is actually manned (PANDA'S helpline has never had anyone on the other end when I've rung...)

How are you feeling today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now