Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Piles! Gah!

(10 Posts)
Zamaz Fri 08-Apr-16 11:53:00

If you are of a sensitive nature, stop right here as the following contains TMI!
Gave birth to DD in November, and since the I've had a horrible external pile. Yuk! It's really painful to poo and bleeds when I go to the loo, and the rest of the time stings (especially when I fart!).
What to do? Does anyone else suffer with these little buggers? Any tips / solutions / words of advice? I don't strain when I poop and eat plenty of fruit and veg, which is what NHS site advises. Thanks!

Chattymummyhere Fri 08-Apr-16 18:29:08

Have you tried over the counter suppositories with steroids in them? If so go to the doctors if that hasn't shifted it.

I only gave birth last week to me third but developed a monster of one that made it hurt to sit/stand/lay down and the suppositories have given much needed relief although my week is nearly up so I will be heading to the doctors about the final bit.

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 08-Apr-16 18:33:54

Another one who suffered at the end of pregnancy and postnatally. My doctor gave me the aforementioned suppositories and they worked like a dream.

blueheel Fri 08-Apr-16 18:56:57

Another person who can empathise! While you're waiting for the creams etc to take effect, you can soak your maternity pad with witch hazel, which can help soothe the pain. I also got some preparation h wet wipes, which also helped. Hope you feel better soon!

Boltonlass1972 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:00:17

Using wipes rather than loo roll definitely helps.
Bathing in salt water or tea tree is good for the old post birth undercarriage anyway and can help healing. Drink lots of water, get something on prescription. After ds2 my GP prescribed some kind of foam which worked well. It won't last forever, they'll diminish. X

coughingbean Fri 08-Apr-16 19:02:16

Hate piles hate hate hate them!
I second a suppository with steroids in.
I have been to the doctor numerous time about mine but she sayes they are small and just prescribes more suppositories.
If mine are small I shudder to think how painfully big ones are!

coughingbean Fri 08-Apr-16 19:03:30

Yes to wet wipes

Chattymummyhere Sat 09-Apr-16 13:50:59

Oh and my midwife said doing your pelvic floor exercises can surprisingly help with piles. No idea the science behind it. However anything is worth a shot.

Zamaz Thu 14-Apr-16 20:45:54

Thank you all! Whilst I am very sorry you are all fellow sufferers, I am delighted to find I'm not alone! ;)
I've taken all the advice. Am using wet wipes, and have been using Anusol cream and suppositories (the ones with hydrocortisone), and thankfully it's started to work - the pile has started to reduce and is much more comfortable.
I'm also using a stool softener (lactulose) which has been great, and it means my poo 'scratches' the pile less on the way out, so it's all a bit more comfortable!
Thanks for the words of wisdom Mumsnetters!

mumto1babyboy Thu 09-Jun-16 20:13:55

Omg they are so painful I agree! Worse than the pushing in childbirth I thought!! I used to run a bath and put that antibacterial stuff u put on grades etc in it (I can't think of the bloody name!!) smells strong but helped me zzz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now