Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Newborn around recently sick family

(7 Posts)
WalkingBlind Fri 04-Mar-16 14:20:55

My baby is a week old and a family member has said they have had pneumonia the past week but are OK now and desperate to see the baby. They say the doctor has given them the 'all clear' for not being contagious but I am panicking so much for the little one's health.

They will be really upset if I say no so I want to make sure I'm being reasonable.

I just don't understand how someone can have pneumonia for only a week hmm They think the go ahead from the doctors means that there's no concerns but I'm assuming the doctor didn't know the visitor would be a newborn baby. I don't know anything about it and Google is baffling me.

I feel like they're putting their desire to see the baby before the baby's health and safety. But if the doctor says it's fine how can I really say otherwise confused

What would you do?

Jessiejane123 Fri 04-Mar-16 16:09:23

I would be the same. You are bound to be protective of your little one. Thing is would it be ok though?

I know that id do....

I'd actually say, you've spoken with your midwife who visits you after you have baby anyway, also your doctor and they've advised against it. Say they've said its a risk with an infant that young to be around someone who has been quite ill. You could do that or maybe talk with your GP if you can and ask the question.

Sirzy Fri 04-Mar-16 16:14:29

Pneumonia is "just" a different type of chest infection so it can be anything from very mild hardly know you have got it to life threatening in hospital type, so it lasting a week is possible and if they have been on antibtioics then the chances of it being contagious are slim.

That said you would be well within your rights to ask them to leave it a week or two. Ds has just had pneumonia and there is no chance I would take him near a newborn or someone I knew was vulnerable if I had any choice in the matter for the next few weeks

outputgap Fri 04-Mar-16 16:23:42

Jesus, people are so bonkers about seeing babies. What difference will it make to leave it a week or two? Is so much more important to not risk the newborn even getting a cold, let alone a chest infection. (I am just getting over a cold that turned into a chest infection and I cannot tell you how awful I have felt. Imagine a newborn that lethargic, with no appetite and a shit immune system.)

And why give a new mum something unnecessary to worry about? Baby will look exactly the same next week. In fact, the chances of it not being asleep will rise.

Jessie has a lovely reply. I would use that.

WalkingBlind Fri 04-Mar-16 19:06:45

Thank you so much everyone, I agree totally flowers

cathpip Fri 04-Mar-16 19:15:23

I wouldn't allow any of my dc near anyone who I knew had recently had pneumonia, pneumonia can kill and I know I'm irrational about it but my dd died from it. As pp's have said baby won't change that much in another week and quite frankly family member can wait!

outputgap Fri 04-Mar-16 22:31:20

Oh, cathpip, my deepest sympathies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now