As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Cluster feeding and fussing

(5 Posts)
Bluesand1 Wed 02-Mar-16 21:10:33

My 9.5 week old (gosh it goes so fast!) is cluster feeding in the evening and sometimes afternoon. Feeding does not bother me too much but the on /off fussing / grumpiness is difficult especially as I have an almost 2 year old and my husband is not getting home from work till 7 ish. When does the fussing end?? With my toddler or was 12 weeks ish. Is it true for all!?? Would you give a bottle during this time? Thanks

Jessiejane123 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:08:39

I'd give a bottle as he is hungry and cluster feeding to compensate for something; whether that be a growth spurt, which is common in the first 4 months, the fact he has slept through a feed, in the night say, or he is just a hungry baby.

For my DD cluster feeding stopped at 4 months, because I actually had to wean her early due to how hungry she was. She was on a 4 hour, 8oz routine and it got to a point where she'd take 6 oz 2 hours after an 8 oz bottle, she was obviously really hungry! Once you wean them the whole routine goes to pot.

I'd definitely give him a bottle, if he happily takes them with ease then he is wanting more. Maybe he will need to be weaned early too?

Dixiechick17 Sun 06-Mar-16 21:42:43

Fussing isn't always down to not gettinf enough from you, cluster feeding is what the baby does during growth spurts to let your boobs know they need to increase the milk, whilst their is nothing wrong with giving bottles, it doesn't automatically mean the baby needs a bottle.

My DD used to fuss on the breast becausr my let down was really fast, so I had to lean back or lay down to feed her sometimes. Do you have any breastfeeding support groups in your local area?

whatsinanamereally Sun 06-Mar-16 21:51:40

I wouldn't give a bottle. The cluster feeding is trying to up your supply, giving a bottle will have the opposite effect on your supply as there will be less demand. I second the previous advice to see a breastfeeding support worker, they will be able to give you useful advice.

Bluesand1 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:15:09

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now