As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Heavy bleeding and clots 10 days after birth.. should I be worried?

(4 Posts)
hannahbanananana Fri 22-Jan-16 20:44:12

I gave birth to my baby boy 10 days ago. I was induced and although I found the labour itself terribly painful, the birth itself couldn't have been better. I pushed for around 15minutes and didn't tear. I did however have a big bleed several hours afterwards. A DR performed bimanual compression of the uterus, which was the most painful thing I've ever experienced (and in the end caused me to tear a little, although thankfully only needed 3 stitches), and I had a drip of syntocin to help the uterus contract. I was told that the placenta had come away in full and that it was probably as a result of a long labour and the uterus becoming tired - apparently this means the blood vessels don't close properly. The bleeding stopped and I have been told that the uterus has contracted back properly. I had heavy bleeding for several days, which became lighter and has been brown for the past couple of days. Today however I have started with bright red blood again which has been quite heavy and when changing my pad has been running down my legs. I've also passed several clots, not particularly big though.. around the size of a 20 pence peice. I've had niggling period-type pain all day, but again, not severe. I'm going to mention it to my midwife when I see her tomorrow, but should I be concerned? Is this normal?

Topsy34 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:05:42

Some people do start bleeding again, some don't. If there is not an offensive smell, and you feel well then it's likely to be fine.

Rest, drink plenty and take paracetamol if you need to. Absolutely mention it to your mw

blackteaplease Sun 24-Jan-16 19:10:42

I had this with really heavy gushensand clots after bleedjng had been stoped for a week. I called 111 who sent me to out of hours, who in turn sent me to the Labour ward. They ran some tests to check for infection declared it in the range of normal after birth. It stopped again within 24 hrs.

If you do want to get checked you can return to Labour ward within 6 weeks of birth. I wish I had known that, it would have saved 2. 5 hrs waiting in the walk in clinic.

blackteaplease Sun 24-Jan-16 19:12:49

Excuse my terrible typing. Fat fingers and a smartphone don't go well together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now