Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

pain relief for stitches

(11 Posts)
s098 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:14:08

I gave birth on Saturday morning, happened very fast and ended up with lots of stitches. I am back at home now and the midwife said the pain could be worse for 5 days then it should fade. I've been taking paracetamol but still in alot of pain. Has anyone got anything to recommended to ease things a bit?

Flossiesmummy Mon 18-Jan-16 16:44:45

No pain relief as such but I found my stitches healed quickly with the use of tea tree oil drops in my bath water.

s098 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:35:59

Thank you i might try that . its probably the bruising around the stitches more than the actual stitches but its really sore sad

SparklyTinselTits Mon 18-Jan-16 18:40:52

My cousin bought me a bottle of Cussons Mum & Me arnica bath soak (white bottle with a yellow/orange cap). Every time I needed a wee, I ran a shallow bath with a few capfuls of that in, sat in it for a few minutes and then peed in the bath (sorry if TMI blush) but it dulled the sting wonderfully! I recommend it to all my pregnant friends!

Donge13 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:41:57

This is probably TMI but when I had this problem I found weeing in a washing up bowl of warm water helped. I don't know why it helped it just did

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 18-Jan-16 19:09:33

What helped my stiches were putting maternity pads in the freezer then putting some witch hazel on them before using. That and a doughnut/ring cushion to sit on.

s098 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:06:12

Going for a wee isn't too bad its mainly sitting down/ getting up in tge night then getting comfy to feed so the dounut cushion would help thank you!

Tellmeagain Thu 21-Jan-16 23:33:39

I gave birth last week and was advised by my midwife to use both paracetamol (for the pain) and ibuprofen (for the swelling) and this has definitely helped. I have also been having a bath every day with 8 drops of lavender oil which has made a real difference. I don't know if it's true but after I had my stitches I was advised not to use a ring/donut cushion because it can put additional pressure on the area.

Gunting Thu 21-Jan-16 23:39:58

I had a similar situation to you and arnica tablets and a donut cushion saved my bits! Also lots of pad off time as I found pads irritated the area. Try not to do too much walking as I found walking around lots also didn't help.

It is awful at the time but it does heal very quickly. From 2 weeks on I felt as good as new down there.

Whoami24601 Thu 21-Jan-16 23:45:54

Lots of baths! I used to sit in the bath for 30 mins morning and night and it really helped with the pain.

MaGratgarlik1983 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:34:38

Donut ring and ibroprufen and lots of baths. Running water from a bottle over when you wee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now