As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

ADVICE NEEDED! Still producing milk?!

(3 Posts)
Cupcakemumma123 Thu 07-Jan-16 10:05:35

Really looking for some advice/ words of wisdom! When my little girl was born, for whatever reason, and despit who tried to help, my little girl couldn't latch on and so I exclusively bottles fed her my expressed milk for 8 weeks until my supply was not meeting her demand. We then did a straight swap to formula and never looked back. HOWEVER, my daughter is now 20 MONTHS OLD!! And I am still producing milk. Not to the extent of leaking or anything like that, but every time I attempt to manually express (to see if it's still happening) droplets of milk appear/ squirt out. It's not like I'm doing this regularly enough for my body to think there is a demand and consequently produce milk, I probably do it just once a month and every time, low and behold, there's milk. It's concerning me as I keep thinking it can't be good for there to be milk just sat there and could it lead to infection/ cancer etc or could it be a sign of something sinister. I am a 36g cup so having large boobs always worries me anyway and I always think the worst. Can anyone relate to this or help?!?! Thank you x

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 07-Jan-16 10:07:53

This is normal. I could get milk out if I squeezed for absolutely ages after I stopped breastfeeding.

DinoSnores Thu 07-Jan-16 10:10:50

First thing to do is to stop trying to express, even intermittently. That in itself will keep things going.

If you are concerned, see your GP who can do a prolactin blood test if they feel it is indicated. I'd stop checking for a bit first as the repeated expressing can keep the prolactin level artificially high. Chances of this being something concerning are pretty slim, so I hope that's reassuring.

(As a junior doctor, I had to witness my lovely but very conservative prof tell a patient to stop wearing nipple tassels as that seemed to be the only cause of her galactorrhoea. That was uncomfortable!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now