Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

cold sore and newborn

(3 Posts)
Llouh Fri 25-Dec-15 11:02:22

I have an 8 week old baby and since yesterday I've had a sore spot on my nose and I'm not sure if it is a cold sore.

I can't remember if I've kissed my baby or he's touched my face but I'm freaking out incase he's caught it.

Is there anything I can do now or do I have to wait and see?

Topsy34 Tue 29-Dec-15 10:06:31

Did it feel like a cold sore starting or just sore like a spot? Do you normally get cold sores?

I would wait for now, if it looks more like a cold sore, then i would speak to pharmacist and see what they suggest

Info with symptoms www.nhs.uk/Conditions/neonatal-herpes/Pages/Introduction.aspx

WhatWillGeorgeDo Tue 29-Dec-15 10:34:49

Not a health professional but did suffer from cold sores a lot in the months after giving birth (had had them before but they flared up during pregnancy and after). The key initial thing is if this would be the first cold sore you have ever had as if so there would be more concern about passing this on to your baby as they wouldn't have any immunity to it from you (link given above in previous post explains symptoms). On a personal note I haven't seen any sign of coldsores yet in my 13 month old so am hoping I haven't passed them on yet. Practical steps I took included washing hands if I thought I might have touched a sore and using the Compeed coldsore patches (Boots also do their own version) to ensure it was covered up and little hands couldn't grab it. Keep the patches on until healed. You also have to be very careful if breast feeding not to touch a coldsore and then touch your breasts as apparently they can be spread there too. Pharmacist or doctor definitely if you are worried but hope my experience might be useful (I did a lot of panicked googling at the time!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now