Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Unvaccinated animals and newborns

(9 Posts)
ero30 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:22:56

Help! It came up in conversation yesterday that my (incredibly overbearing) MIL's (poorly trained, very jumpy) dog hasn't been to the vet in over 5 years! The dog is 8 and my MIL has not had her from a puppy. She is chipped, so I assume she has at least had her early jabs. However, I'm 39+5 and am feeling uncomfortable with the idea of having the baby around this dog when it arrives. Am I being paranoid or is this something worth taking a stand on?

TheoriginalLEM Sun 22-Nov-15 08:29:25

ok so i understand your concern but the conditions that dogs are vaccinated against cannot be transmitted from dog to human. So that is a worry you can tick off your list.

What is really important is that the dog is wormed and flead. You can buy drontal flea treatment in pets wt home and local chemists, relatively cheaply. . I would insist on this.

However i would hope the baby wont be exposed to the doogs poo or the dog wont be licking the babies face!!

bonzo77 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:37:42

I'd be far more worried about it being out of control and jumpy. Far far more worried.

Fairydogmother Sun 22-Nov-15 08:43:17

Wouldn't worry at all about vaccinations but the dog does need wormed with a veterinary wormer such as advocate, frontline etc

ottothedog Sun 22-Nov-15 08:46:05

This sounds like pregnancy overprotectiveness tbh. I was always like that too. The vaccines dont protect against human diseases, plus they more than likely last for years/lifetime anyway (like your baby - early vaccine, childhood booster, then once every 10 years) but of course vets make money from them
There are issues around babies and dogs but not around vaccines

TheoriginalLEM Sun 22-Nov-15 08:49:22

drontal can be bought without prescription and is cheaper if your mil reluctant to take to the vet. advocate is prescription only but very effective against fleas and worms although doesn't kill tapeworm. it is roundworms thst are particularly worrisome. So yes, getting the dog to the vets is important . if your mil wont, buy her some drontal.

Fairydogmother Sun 22-Nov-15 09:24:37

She can ask for milbemax to cover the rest of the worms. Just make sure it's not something she's bought in tescos

ero30 Sun 22-Nov-15 18:07:02

Thank you all! You've definitely put my mind at rest. I'll bring up the worming issue at a safe point... Probably when I'm allowed to drink wine again!

artisanroast Sun 06-Dec-15 00:33:40

My sil has a Jack Russell - a fantastic dog. I love animals and this wee dog has a lovely nature and had all its vaccinations.

I also have 2 cats myself. However, I won't allow the dog in the same company as my baby because unfortunately, very very rarely a dog will be playing perhaps and may decide to play with the baby. I realise the chance is minuscule but it would kill me if anything were to happen to the baby or the dog. I could never forgive myself thinking it could have been prevented. So, it has been agreed the dog isn't allowed in the same room as the baby until she is bigger (I think about 5 years).

Similarly my cats aren't allowed near her until she outweighs them. We are almost there now (she was a small baby). The cats are mainly scared of her but one of my fluffy babies did jump on the couch on-top of her - cue me feeling like a bad mum when I realised what happened and quickly shooing the cat off the baby. Neither cat nor baby seemed bothered by the incident. The cats aren't allowed in the baby's room at bed time or when I am not there.

I feel it's important to have my baby near cat and dog dander as exposure can reduce risk of allergies in the future. I want my baby to love animals as much as I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now