Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Severe constipation and bleeding

(7 Posts)
lauren23 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:09:44

Sorry if it's tmi!!

Before having my little boy I had absolutely no trouble going to the toilet. It's now horrendous..always feels like I'm birthing a boulder!! To make matters worse I think I must have haemorrhoids as whenever I go to the toilet the pain is unbearable and there's quite a bit of blood. I have booked into see the doctor but the earliest appointment they have is in 2 weeks time. It's really getting me down. I'm breastfeeding so I'm not sure what I can take to make things better. Anyone got any advice?

timelytess Fri 20-Nov-15 21:14:55

Absolutely not an expert but these come to mind.

Trydrinking a glass of tepid water with a teaspoon of sugar in it.

You might have a tear, that's so painful. Try absolutely loading on something like Vaseline before you try to go to the toilet.

Morebounceperounce Fri 20-Nov-15 21:17:49

You poor thing, I had the same thing and it was worse than when DD crowned due to lack of gas and air. You can get lactulose over the counter, which is safe to take while breastfeeding, take a few massive doses (the pharmacist can advise). Gallons and gallons of water. Prune juice, prunes, dates, loads of veg. What really works for me is Brown linseeds from any health food shop, have a big tablespoon on cereal.

Hang in there, it will get better!

Bohemond Fri 20-Nov-15 21:25:19

Lactulose but make sure you stay near a loo as it can work at any time!

29herzie Fri 20-Nov-15 21:28:38

Ouch! First make sure you are definitely not constipated. I think you can get lactolose at the chemist and while your there get them to recommend some pile ointment. It sucks that your doctor can't see you soon er when you've just had a baby... But even though I managed to see my GP there wasn't much she could offer as I am also breastfeeding. She did prescribe me some scheriproc ointment which helped a bit and I don't know but I think it might be possible to get it without a prescription. I've had problems of this nature for years but am just having a flair up after the birth of DS and unfortunately the most effective treatments are not compatible with breastfeeding. My sympathies though and I also recommend taking a couple of books into the bathroom. One to read and another to bite on!

lauren23 Sat 21-Nov-15 09:19:24

Thank you all for your replies! I'll be going to the shops today to stock up on everything. Really hoping it gets better soon as I can't deal with this pain for much longer!

Allgunsblazing Sat 21-Nov-15 09:23:22

It sounds like the constipation gave you a fissure.
Try lactulose, lots of water. Insist you see a GP asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now