Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

C-section wound opened

(6 Posts)
dotladotla Sun 15-Nov-15 23:13:59

I had an emergency c-section four weeks ago and it seemed to be healing perfectly with a neat little scar. But then I woke up this morning and there was a small bit of blood coming from the middle of it and it seems to have opened about 2cm along. It doesn't smell, look infected or have any other issues.
I just went to the toilet there and noticed that it was bleeding a small amount again. I never had staples, I think it's all dissolvable stitches and glue.
It seems strange that it has been healing well for four weeks then suddenly it has opened - does anyone have any info on this? Does it happen often? Any idea why? I have been trying to not overdo it.
I think I'll phone the doctor in the morning.
Also (strange question alert), can pushing poo out cause it to open because I'm using the muscles?

Any help/advice would be helpful.

Skiptonlass Mon 16-Nov-15 08:02:18

Pooing won't hurt it smile the external wound is on top of a few internal layers of stitches.

Keep it very clean and get your doc to look at it as soon as you can. It could just be that section didn't knit together properly but it could also be a subacute infection.

I'm amazed that staples aren't standard practice these days!

Skiptonlass Mon 16-Nov-15 08:04:10

Oh and in answer to your other question the causes of wound opening include:

Infection
Suturing too tight/poor technique on closure
Diabetic complications
Trauma (moving too much too soon)
Poor healing (due to fragile tissue etc.)

dotladotla Mon 16-Nov-15 11:18:52

Thanks so much. Phoning the doctor this morning (just woke up after a rough night with DD) so I'll see what they say

dotladotla Mon 16-Nov-15 11:27:51

Ps- I'm up in the highlands and they always use dissolvable stitches and glue now then leave the special gel healing would pad on for seven days. If only I could have put another gel pad on it!

dotladotla Wed 18-Nov-15 08:24:04

Went to the doctor and she said it should heal itself but to go back if it gets worse or looks infected. I've to try to air it as much as possible and not have synthetic materials in front of it.
Thanks again Skiptonlass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now