Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Retained placenta identified at 5month pp, any advice??

(3 Posts)
ClaireFraser Mon 09-Nov-15 08:13:43

I had a ultrasound scan last week (checking for size/location of fibroids as the midwife identified them when palpating my abdomen post delivery) and the scan showed up that there is an area of retained placenta.

I gave birth 5months ago. I don't know how big a piece of placenta it is, but I remember, through my g&a addled haze, the midwife showing me the placenta and saying she thought it was all there. Not that I would have known what I was looking for, having never seen a human placenta before!

Looking back now I wonder why no one thought to check when I was still in hospital because it took ten days for my milk to come in, and I've now read that retained placenta is a major cause of stopping/delaying the milk coming in!

My GP flagged this up and I have a referral to a gynaecologist in a fortnight to discuss.

I haven't had any pain/bleeding/signs of infection. But did have problems with high blood pressure and unusual blood results for the week following birth (was induced due to pre eclampsia). It also took 6weeks for the lochia to completely stop, which I understand is quite a long time.

I don't know how worried about this I should be, what they will suggest doing re removal/leaving it there? Is it going to cause a problem with conceiving again? Can it go on to cause an infection? What questions should I be asking the gynaecologist?

Btw DD is ebf so I haven't had any periods back yet. Any advice would be much appreciated smile

NorthernLurker Mon 09-Nov-15 08:25:15

It can be hard to see all the placenta is there I believe. Especially if you were overdue and it's started to age. Given that you are well and bleeding has stopped I wouldn't worry too much. I suspect they will need to remove it which will mean a minor op. You need to ask the gynae what the risks are of removing it and what happens if you do nothing.

ClaireFraser Mon 09-Nov-15 16:23:00

Rtthanks for replying. Baby wasn't overdue, was induced a fortnight early due to pre eclampsia, so placenta should have been in good condition.

I agree main things to ask is risks of removing versus risks of leaving. My main concern is whether it would affect chances of conception as planning on one, if not two, more DC. Although maybe it might come away with my first period?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now