Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Unexpected weight loss pp?

(5 Posts)
Purpleboa Thu 29-Oct-15 09:48:12

Ok so I realise that this is a bit like posting in the Sleep thread and saying I'm worried my baby is sleeping too much! But I am a bit concerned so hope someone may be able to help.

I had a good pregnancy and only gained a stone and a half. All the weight was my bump and nowhere else. I started pregnancy with a BMI of 26. Never bothered me, I'm 5 foot 8 and size 14, and did a lot of exercise so never really tried to diet. After I gave birth 18 weeks ago, the weight has fallen off, to the extent that I am now a stone lighter than I was pre pregnancy! This is despite me doing no exercise apart from long pram walks, and having a diet that consists largely of chocolate and cream filled products (thanks to my ongoing fatigue and breastfeeding ).

I realise that this is a good thing but I am a bit concerned that the weight is dropping without me having to try. I am ebf, so I know that will have an impact, but everything I've read has suggested that weight loss through breastfeeding is minimal at best. I'm not sleeping well and probably burning a lot of nervous energy, plus I always seem to be on the go with baby and housework. Maybe that's it? Also, I've only had the odd glass of wine in the past 14 months - whereas before I loved my wine! So maybe my body is catching up on that?

As I say, I don't want to jinx a good thing here. I guess I just wanted to know if this is normal or if I should be getting a check up from the doctor just in case? I should add that my bmI is now top end of the healthy range so I'm hardly wasting away grin I guess you just know what is normal for you, and it doesn't feel right with me.

Also slightly galling that even at my half marathon training fittest, I never got to this weight!

Any advice or 'get a grip woman and enjoy the skinny' would be much appreciated! TIA.

BeaBoo Thu 29-Oct-15 09:56:25

I have a few friends who have had weight just drop off them when they started BF, in exactly the same way it has for you. I am slightly jealous as I couldn't BF dd and could do with losing a few lb grin A couple of my friends were slim pre-pregnancy and now weigh less than before they got pregnant.

I don't think it's anything to worry about to be honest. Just enjoy it!

OffMyAyersRocker Thu 29-Oct-15 10:02:29

When l bf dd1 the weight wouldn't shift until l gave up bf. I'm expressing for dd2 and the weight is falling off without having to do anything.

Very weird and not what l expected either!

I have one friend who has twice been told to give up bf as she lost a lot of weight both times (she was bf 6+ months).

Skiptonlass Thu 29-Oct-15 10:18:46

Do you feel ok?

If you do, then maybe it's a combination of two things:

1. Breastfeeding
2. You may have lost 'you' weight during pregnancy even though you gained 'baby' weight. The bBy weight comes off leaving you smaller than before. This seems to be happening to me - I lost weight due to sickness and once baby and bump are accounted for, I'm smaller than pre preg!
Keep an eye on it, mention it to your GP and review your diet but if you feel ok you probably are

Purpleboa Thu 29-Oct-15 10:23:29

Thanks everyone that's much appreciated!

Yeah I do feel Ok (apart from being permanently tired but that's due to a no sleep baby!) Guess I should just enjoy it then - suspect it'll come crashing back on once I stop the boob!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: