Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

37 feeling old and exhausted

(20 Posts)
MusicMum18 Mon 26-Oct-15 18:43:10

Hi
I have a teething 6 month old am breastfeeding, and am exhausted. Up every hour last night bf and poor thing has been in agony again today. Have tried cal pol, bonjela Ashton's powder etc. just got to ride it out.

I'm spending most of my time on the floor, changing nappies, playing etc. but when I get up usually with baby in my arms I feel so old. Is there anyone else with a lo who feels older than their years? I'm not sure if I feel like this just because I'm tired or if it really is my age? I used to be fit and healthy. My but feeling is it's lack of sleep....

I'd love another baby but I'm worried I'm too old if I feel like this with one lo how would I cope with two? Is there anyone else my age who as two Los close in age that can tell me how you do it, and how you survive!! I love being a mum but the tiredness is so hard to manage.

MusicMum18 Mon 26-Oct-15 18:56:58

Plus my lower legs ache, I have huge black rings under my eyes, and I look like a bag lady. I just want to know if I will get back to my normal self and feel like a normal human being again.

Don't get me wrong I adore my lo and love being a mummy but I just feel old and don't know if I should have another baby although I would absolutely love one!

pocketsized Mon 26-Oct-15 18:59:34

Not much help but I'm 30, 1 LO and I feel the same...

shutupanddance Mon 26-Oct-15 19:00:07

I don't know the answer op. My youngest (of 4) is nearly 3. I feel old alot too and I'm 37.confused

ateapotandacake Tue 27-Oct-15 17:17:26

Hugs. I'm 33, have a 5 week old DS. Today I bent over in the shower in an attempt to make my bikini line presentable and something went klunk in my lower back. Kids officially make you old! I can't move now so bikini line no longer a worry!

MaisieDotes Tue 27-Oct-15 17:24:25

I'm 39. I have a 14 year old, a 14 month old and I'm 27 weeks pregnant.

I was doing fine until about 2 weeks ago when I damaged a nerve in my back. Now I am destroyed. I can barely hobble around.

I hope and pray this improves or I am in for a long 3 months sad sad

MusicMum18 Thu 29-Oct-15 18:54:34

Hi,
Well I'm glad it's not just me then. When I see other mums out and about that all look fresh faced and that seem that they actually get good sleep, I start to worry that there's something wrong with the any i do things with lo, and I start to question myself!
Maisienotes, I hope your back feels better soon, I have no idea how you are coping. Ateapot, your post made me laugh, last night I slept funny and I'm in pain today whenever I turn my head to the left. Ouch!
Keep fighting the good fight, ladies! Xxxx

Purpleboa Thu 29-Oct-15 19:40:41

Yup, another one here who feels older than her years! I'm 36, yet some days I make the average octogenarian look sprightly. Went for a walk with my 65 year old mum recently, and had to ask her to slow down sad

I'm massively sleep deprived thanks to my 4 month DD deciding sleep isn't really for her. My back has good and bad days. What's worse is my arms and wrists. Started aching in pregnancy and still painful now. I'm currently waking up to claw hands. Takes me a good while before I can move my fingers properly. I'm breastfeeding so apparently it's something to do with hormones. Argh!

I'm really hoping that things will change once she starts to sleep better...in the meantime, that is why God invented concealer!

MaisieDotes Thu 29-Oct-15 19:56:09

Oh thanks music I can tentatively report a slight improvement although it seems to be a one step forward two steps back scenario.

DS is 13kg so lifting him is a challenge!

Bunbaker Thu 29-Oct-15 20:00:43

You have my sympathy. I had DD at 41 and felt like that. DD is now 15 and I am 56 and no longer feel like that. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, however faint it is.

MusicMum18 Sat 31-Oct-15 10:17:09

Thanks bun baker. I will cling onto that thought.
Why can't these babies just go to sleep. It's so easy, they just have to shut their eyes and relax. Then us mummies can also get some well needed rest too!

tinymeteor Sat 31-Oct-15 12:11:55

I'm 35 and feel bloody ancient some days! Better now she is toddling though, believe it or not. 6 months old is a really tiring age if you're BFing, because they are big enough to need loads of sustenance from but aren't yet into solids, so it is all on you. It will get easier in that respect as weaning progresses. Meanwhile, eat eat eat and keep your energy up. There will never be a better reason to eat cake.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 31-Oct-15 12:32:39

Oh God - I'm nearly weeping in solidarity.

I'm 37. 37 weeks pregnant and have a 1 and a 2 year old. The 1 year old refuses to walk although she'll cruise around and stand unaided in the middle of the flor to dance confused. Outhouse has loads of stairs so I need to lug her up and down.

We're just coming to the end of major building works and in the last two weeks I have felt so tired I've wondered if it was possible to die of exhaustion. I look like a fraggle as I have had no time to go to the hairdresser as DH is working 6 days a week and I'm living in pyjama bottoms and maternity tops.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Sat 31-Oct-15 12:36:46

Sleep deprivation will make you feel awful, but I'd also recommend you get your iron levels checked - I've been anaemic and felt (and looked) deathly, had heavy legs too. It's worth checking, because it's common in postnatal women and so easily treated.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Sat 31-Oct-15 12:44:04

And actually, even if you're not technically anaemic, taking a gentle liquid iron supplement won't hurt - I like feroglobin which has also got vits b and d, or something like spatone or floradix.

MusicMum18 Sat 31-Oct-15 13:47:46

I can see she's tired, she falls asleep on me bf then as soon as I put her in the cot she wakes up and cries. Flips onto front and cries. She's clearly tired. Exhausted in fact. Why doesn't she go to sleep? She's been awake since 7.30 with no nap whatsoever. She looks done for I just don't know what to do.

GenevaMaybe Sat 31-Oct-15 13:57:58

It's because you're feeding her to sleep. When she is able to fall asleep on her own she will sleep for longer. This is a fact but it's not easy. You'll have to teach her to self settle or keep going as you are.

MusicMum18 Sat 31-Oct-15 14:11:10

How do I teach her to self settle? I don't want to leave her to cry it out as I don't agree with leaving her to cry , but I've tried picking her up and settling lots just now and it's not making any difference she's still crying. I've also tried leaving her in cot and me talking softly, singing lullabies etc. I've tried settling then putting back down repeatedly.

She can self settle as she does it sometimes in the night. It's shouting for attention rather than crying so I ignore and she goes back to sleep.

MusicMum18 Sat 31-Oct-15 14:12:02

She also sleeps if I walk her in pram over rocky ground, or in car. But this isn't solving the problem, aaarrrrggghhhh

GenevaMaybe Sun 01-Nov-15 08:44:16

You could try the No Cry Sleep Solution although it is very gradual and might take a few weeks to work.
If you want something quicker then I'd do controlled crying but one of the gentler approaches

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now