Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Cracked nipples

(5 Posts)
Londonnights Fri 23-Oct-15 10:35:48

Sorry to ask, I'm sure it's been covered to death but I am absolutely desperate. Both nipples are cracked and open the entire way round the nipple. The pain is unbelievable and it's been like this for a week. I can't sleep. I've been covering with plasters and savlon cream but I don't know if this is helping or hindering. Can anyone offer any tips? I'm out of town visiting family, no access to medical help and no one I can speak to.

zoobaby Fri 23-Oct-15 10:48:14

Lansinoh lanolin cream which can be bought at pharmacy (and most supermarkets). Apply before, after, during feeds. It's like really thick baseline and it was an absolute lifesaver for me. No need to wash it off for feeding. Expensive (£10 for small tube) but absolutely worth it.

Also, if they're totally shredded, you could possibly consider using nipple shields? No experience, so sorry can't advise on that one.

Find out about your local breastfeeding support group and visit ASAP to get advice on latching technique. Once baby (and you) know what to do, it'll get better.

zoobaby Fri 23-Oct-15 10:49:25

My auto correct doesn't like the word vaseline.

zoobaby Fri 23-Oct-15 10:51:48

Also, after feeding, try to get a little breastmilk and cover nipple with it. It has amazing medicinal properties! Just leave nipples exposed to air for a few minutes.

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 23-Oct-15 11:00:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now