As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Nursery nurse

(10 Posts)
pocketsized Fri 16-Oct-15 12:15:52

I'm really struggling with DD (7m) at the moment, and if I'm honest suspect I have PND (waiting on a GP appointment next week.) DH persuaded me to tall the HV as she has been kind at the drop in clinic before. A different lady answered the phone, and I did my best to explain I'm struggling. They've said they will send the nursery nurse out next week. What on earth is a nursery nurse? What do they do? How are they different to HVs? I'm really hoping it's not the awful rude woman at the drop in that told me if I was doing it right DD would sleep by herself by now, and not need feeding at night. I really don't think I could cope if she turned up...

pocketsized Sun 18-Oct-15 20:02:30

Anyone?

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sun 18-Oct-15 20:05:27

Nursery nurses work alongside HVs and do home visits and help in clinic. They can help with behaviour, weigh babies and perform developmental checks. He or she will probably come out and have a chat with you to find out what support they can offer you.

pocketsized Sun 18-Oct-15 20:08:53

Thanks thecold do they have health care qualifications, or childcare ones? Will they know about feeding issues and sleep problems?

LostInMess Sun 18-Oct-15 20:10:03

Hi OP,

I've had dealings with the nursery nurse before, but when my DC were at preschool age - HV was visiting due to baby but we used to end up talking more about my then 4.5 yr old who was being somewhat challenging - so the NN came over and discussed strategies for dealing with her behaviour, got me to keep a diary of how she behaved and similar.

From that experience, I think the NN focuses on the child's behaviour and how to manage it, though I could be talking out of my behind - and am not sure in what way they differ from HVs other than that she had more time to spend with me. And I'd never seen her at clinic before so hopefully we won't be the helpful soul you saw at yours.

Oh, FWIW, I have 4 DC (Dc4 only 4 weeks) and NONE of mine had come anywhere near sleeping though at 7 months, so ignore that.
Not surprised you don't want to see that individual again! And well done on going to see your GP, that's a hard step to take but absolutely the right one - lack of sleep will not be helping either there. Fingers crossed that your appointment with both NN and Gp go well. x

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sun 18-Oct-15 20:15:43

They are childcare trained, plus they have extra training in health matters, rather than being qualified nurses like HVs are. Most of them are very experienced and knowledgable, hopefully you will find the visit supportive. He or she will be able to tell you about any support groups or services available in your area.

Good luck smile

pocketsized Sun 18-Oct-15 20:29:36

Thanks for the responses, hopefully it will be constructive and practical, rather than "just make her sleep by herself" which is what the rather unhelpful lady suggested!

DD had an undiagnosed milk allergy, and the dietician now suspects multiple allergies and she just doesn't seem to sleep/eat properly and it's been a massive bottle to get it sorted, it's all turning into one huge anxiety making mess! Hopefully the NN will have some practical suggestions.

pocketsized Sun 18-Oct-15 20:30:06

Massive battle, not bottle!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 18-Oct-15 20:41:06

We had a nursery nurse round to help with some sleep issues for my 23 month old (!) this week and she was great. As far as in aware they're qualified in child care.
Hope you get the support you need.

pocketsized Sun 18-Oct-15 20:46:25

That's encouraging worlds, (that she was great, not that you're still having sleep issues at 23 months, I'll go nuts long before that...) I think I'm my current frame of mind I am even more if a worrier than usual, and I'm pretty good at it at the best of times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now