Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Itchy weepy nipples

(4 Posts)
Shadgal1 Sun 27-Sep-15 17:44:11

Two weeks ago I developed a small rash, then madly itchy breasts, then itchy nipples, then sore painful nipples (I'm combined breast and formula feeding my 5.5mnth old). Son and I have a history of thrush. After about 10 days I went to the docs who gave me antibiotics (she said it didn't look like thrush) as the rash was weepy. A week's course of antibs sort of helped - the course ended on Friday but today both nipples and areola are weepy and sooooo itchy it's unbearable. I'll go to docs tomorrow if I can make an appointment but has anyone been through this and got any tips? I'm washing them after feeding with a saline solution, and was using lansinoh, tho I've stopped that as I can't tell if it's helping or not. As the nipples aren't dry they're actually really wet.

My theories range from eczema (I have had eczema in the past (not on my boobs!)), irritation from son's saliva (he's mega droolly at the mo), just a rash from dry skin that's gone nasty, stress (we're moving house this week)...the rash started on breasts but not nipples, but now it's def the nipples & areola that are affected, and not so much the rest of the breast.

Whatever it is it's doing my head in and making a stressful week so much worse...any tips gratefully received!

sproketmx Mon 28-Sep-15 00:18:31

Could also be mastitis. Try something with paraffin and lanolin in it. Looks like bright yellow vase line but can't remember it's name

ispyfispi Sun 08-Nov-15 22:46:57

Thrush is notoriously difficult to get rid of so I'd be inclined to think it was that. Maybe start taking acidophilus which is a good idea after antibiotics anyway.

Skiptonlass Sun 08-Nov-15 22:50:40

Insist on them doing a culture to establish exactly what is infecting you! Things like staphylococcal infections are often misdiagnosed as thrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now