Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Contraceptive pill making me crazy

(7 Posts)
PerfectlyPosed Mon 06-Jul-15 11:29:43

DD is 4 months. Following my 6 week check, I started on the combined pill. I decided on that because I thought it was the easiest, I liked the idea of possibly not having a period (didn't happen) and it seemed the most temporary as I don't think it will be long before we decide to have a second child. Anyway, this pill has made me absolutely crazy. I have the shortest fuse and find myself despising my DP for the smallest things. I am awful to him and can never explain why. After I broke down yesterday, we have agreed that it is the cause and I will stop taking it. Any suggestions for alternatives? I think I could do without the extra hormones. To be honest, we don't have a great deal of sex so maybe just use condoms? I was booked in to get a mirena coil fitted when I found out I was pregnant so is it worth revisiting that idea? Any advice welcome as I can't go on feeling this angry all the time.

PerfectlyPosed Mon 06-Jul-15 13:57:00

Bump

applecore0317 Wed 08-Jul-15 23:04:36

You could try the mini pill first, its progesterone only so releases the same hormones as the mirena coil. That way if the hormones don't suit you then you won't have gone through the hassle of having the coil fitted.

I've gone back on the mini pill as it was the only one I was allowed with breastfeeding.

romeomorningwhisky Wed 08-Jul-15 23:08:00

I have tried depo which I used for years before pregnancy & the implant since having my wee one & both have made me batshit.
Hormones just don't agree anymore.
I'm having a coil fitted as soon as my implant is removed (at hospital as the doctors have failed to remove it but that's a different story...)

romeomorningwhisky Wed 08-Jul-15 23:09:59

Sorry I just remembered there are 2 types of coil!
It's the copper one I'm trying that isn't hormonal !

PerfectlyPosed Thu 09-Jul-15 23:00:15

I was on the mini pill before. I don't think it caused me any problems particularly but I just didn't fancy it. I was talked out of the copper coil before I got pregnant but I'm not sure why. I stopped taking the pill on Monday and already feel so much calmer so I think I've done the right thing. Will discuss options with my GP but I think maybe just condoms is the better choice. Also, went on combined pill as I liked the idea of not having a period and have been bleeding now for 15 days on and off...

applecore0317 Fri 10-Jul-15 04:41:58

The mini pill stopped my periods completely whereas with the combined pill I had to take my seven day breaks.

Good that you feel better coming off it, I found that it's trial and error with any pill to find one that suits, which is a pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now