Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

HELP!! itchy legs and belly!

(9 Posts)
heatherxo Sat 04-Jul-15 21:46:01

I gave birth to my lovely son on the 21st June (2 weeks ago).
A few days ago my belly started getting really itchy (I have LOTS of stretch marks and put it down to that)
But since Thursday my legs have also developed this itchy-ness.
Most of my stomach and legs are covered in what I can only describe as looking like heat rash...
Anyone else had this? What should I use on this? (I also have eczema)

Molotov Sat 04-Jul-15 21:51:33

You're probably sweating out the usual fluid in the post-partum period. Are you in the UK? If so, the heat wave will be making this worse.

I'd recommend moisturising, particularly with shea butter or aloe vera.

HTH, and congratulations! thanks

BreeVDKamp Sat 04-Jul-15 22:05:55

I had that after my spinal anaesthetic - did you have one? Although for me the itching and rash was in the period immediately after birth. I rather enjoyed the scratching once I knew the cause! blush

Congrats on your babe flowers

SaulGood Sat 04-Jul-15 22:11:42

The postpartum sweating and this heat could be causing you a few issues. Have you tried an antihistamine? There are breastfeeding friendly ones if you need them.

It could also be postpartum PUPPS. Something like 70% of women experience this most severely on their abdomen and thighs.

SaulGood Sat 04-Jul-15 22:13:11

If it is PUPPS, not a lot can help. If it's really bad I think you can have steroids. Oatmeal baths are good. Fill an old sock or tights with oats and run under the hot tap as you fill the tub. Squeeze and rub it on the itchy bits.

heatherxo Sat 04-Jul-15 22:21:55

Thanks everyone.
I am in the UK but don't think its to do with the heat to be honest.
I've also noticed that the back of my calfs are bruised too, where the rash is worst.

heatherxo Sat 04-Jul-15 22:27:23

Just adding that I'm also on dalteparin injections to prevent dvt, could it be a reaction to this?

WishIwasanastronaut Sat 04-Jul-15 22:34:33

Hi. Congratulations! smile My doctor told me itching could Neva sign of magnesium deficiency, which is very common during/just after pregnancy. A magnesium supplement might help you (if breast-feeding maybe mention it to a doc of pharmacist but will be fine). Enjoy your baby - such a special time x

WishIwasanastronaut Sat 04-Jul-15 22:34:59

*be a

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now