As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

sex at 2 weeks pp?

(15 Posts)
hullabaloo234 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:31:11

Hello All!

My DC is 2 weeks old and I reeeeeeally want to resume my sex life.Had an amazing delivery and feel fantastic! I had small tear that was stitched but cannot feel them and have had no pain from it whatsoever, and lochia has pretty much stopped bar the odd bit every now and again. Is it too soon or can I just do it and see how it goes? My 6 week check is booked for nearer 9 weeks as docs is so busy so really don't want to wait til then confused
Any helpful advice would be gratefully received smile

Christelle2207 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:43:13

If bleeding has stopped and you're feeling up to it why not. I'm 6w pp and tbh can't imagine having the energy! I also have a toddler though.
The six week check is a bit of a non-event at my gp. Didn't examine me of anything.

hullabaloo234 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:47:27

Hmmmm, bleeding hasn't stopped completely, still getting the odd bit but was hoping to go for it anyway (sorry if that's gross!) Is that a big no no?

TheVeryHungryPreggo Sat 04-Jul-15 14:52:01

I don't want to encourage you to do anything before you are ready as that would be reckless, but speaking for myself personally I felt ready at 10 days pp this time... So we just put a towel on the bed and it was fine. I was still bleeding slightly as if at the end of a period but no clots, and it was darker rather than bright red.

Remember to use protection! This is a very fertile point in time.

LivingInTheStateOfDreaming Sat 04-Jul-15 15:06:35

it was a long long time ago now, but I remember I had sex before the 6 week check up, I'm sure I waited for something first? womb to retract or something?

You will have to mention it at your six week check, as the will examine you to be on the safe side.

AlpacaMyBags Sat 04-Jul-15 15:22:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CactusAnnie Sat 04-Jul-15 15:29:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jul-15 15:33:41

You should wait until any bleeding has stopped as there is basically an open wound there where the placenta was attached to the womb. It is an infection risk if you don't West until it has healed

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jul-15 15:34:41

*wait

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jul-15 15:35:20

contraception is required if it is more than 21 days since birth

FadedRed Sat 04-Jul-15 15:38:27

At 2 weeks post partum you are at risk of introducing infection and (smaller) risk of air embolism. Yes, some couples do start again before 6 week check, and most have no problem, but the risks exist. Your choice really. There are lots of non PIV activities that can satisfy your urges grin - maybe start with those?

Roseybee10 Mon 06-Jul-15 22:34:37

I would wait til bleeding had stopped personally as I would worry about infection.

We dtd 5 weeks after baby with second pregnancy and it was fine.

SaulGood Mon 06-Jul-15 22:39:16

On balance, I'd say no. You are still healing and there is a tiny but real risk that you could cause an infection or reopen the tear or an even tinier chance of embolism. I mean, really tiny as risks go but it would be game over if it happened. I think it's 3 weeks after birth that the embolism risk disappears.

teenagetantrums Mon 06-Jul-15 22:39:27

I was 3 weeks after the second,no problem, Waited the 6 weeks after the first cant see why now s was ready before that, if you want to just go for it.

imwithspud Mon 06-Jul-15 22:49:50

Oh gosh, I'm nearly 6 weeks pp and the thought of doing anything even now makes me wince and cross my legs, and I had a pretty straight forward birth this time. I guess everyone feels ready at different times.

It's not advised if you're still bleeding as there is a risk of infection, I will say that since around two weeks pp I have had on and off bleeding where it would slow down/stop if I was less active then start up again if I was on my feet doing stuff so I would wait a bit and make sure the bleeding has actually stopped for good before going ahead with it. A bit of nookie isn't worth the risk of infection or reopening any tears in my opinion. Although I am probably just an over cautious type. Took me 15 weeks last time to finally feel 'normal' down there and pluck up the courage to go all the way blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now