Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Going for a number 2 after birth... How long?

(18 Posts)
Stinkylinky Fri 03-Jul-15 12:48:44

I gave birth 4 days ago to our lovely DS after a 24 hour long labour, I had to have an eptopsomy and a forced delivery. MW came yesterday and everything looks fine and healing well but I've been unable to poo. Anyone else had this and how long did it take you to go? Any advice to encourage things to get moving?

Stinkylinky Fri 03-Jul-15 12:50:15

Episiotomy even!

mummypig3 Fri 03-Jul-15 12:57:57

Do you feel you need to go? I didn't for about 4 or 5 days probably because I wasn't eating much. I seem to lose my appetite after birth for a few days while my digestive system is settling down

AlisonBlunderland Fri 03-Jul-15 13:00:49

When i was a student nurse way back in the last century, mums weren't allowed to go home until they had poo'ed !
The only job I was allowed to do was to ask each and every one "have you been?" and if not, give them a dose of something!

UnspecialSnowflake Fri 03-Jul-15 13:05:12

Were you given any morphine after the birth? That can really block you up, I had quite a lot of morphine after I had DD, including a morphine suppository, and I didn't go for days. In the end I ate an entire bag of satsumas and it sorted the problem out.

FernGullysWoollyPully Fri 03-Jul-15 13:07:55

Good grief not for days! Probably about 4 or 5. Maybe even longer. And when I did go, it was quite a struggle. Like you, I had an episiotomy and I had haemorrhoids as well blush I thought my insides would fall out!

Holding a chilled flannel to your cut will help stop it feel like it's going to burst and pouring warm water helps with lubrication and cleanliness. Vaseline on your bum can help too.

As for getting things shifted, if you're constipated, lactulose is available to buy from chemists and can obviously be prescribed if you have time to get a prescription.

Christelle2207 Fri 03-Jul-15 13:10:59

Another vote for lactulose. I think I finally went (without lactulose) on day 4-5 ish. Lactulose will soften it up and make it less scary. It's not that bad tho, promise!

TommyandGina Fri 03-Jul-15 13:23:07

Did you have dirrahoea in early labour, if so that will have emptied you out, hence no need to go for a few days

StonedGalah Fri 03-Jul-15 13:28:11

I asked mw for something to help me go about 12 hours after dd1 was born and it did the trick. I had episiotomy and ventouse birth too.

That was the best bit of advice my dsis gave me!

Stinkylinky Fri 03-Jul-15 13:58:40

I did have morphine in labour. I've felt the urge to go but just feel so blocked when I try to go, I've been holding a pad that's been in the freezer agaisnt my stitches which seems to help. I've sent DP to get me some lactolose so hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks for the advice smile

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 03-Jul-15 14:01:38

If you're still taking codeine I would stop if you can bear it as that bungs you up. When you go to bed take a laxative dose of milk of magnesia (about 40 ml) and that Should really loosen you up

Agree with pp put pressure on your stitches with your hand (with tissue or something)each time you go to protect your perineum and really try not to strain. They don't tell you how important it is to take care of them..it takes 6 weeks at least for them to heal internally and externally so take it easy. I say this as someone who has just had a very painful perineal reconstruction!

Spydra Fri 03-Jul-15 15:03:44

I totally thought this thread was about a second child. and sibling spacing!

Ignore me!

Roseybee10 Fri 03-Jul-15 21:16:16

A few days each time. Actually I was fine the first few times but when my milk came in I had horrendous constipation to the point of being in agony. I think I was dehydrated. Try to drink lots of water. X

westcountrywoman Fri 03-Jul-15 21:26:11

A suppository will help soften things up if you're feeling the urge but can't 'go'.
Prune juice is ace, as are dried fruits like apricots, figs and prunes but beware they might make baby windy if you're breastfeeding.

SaulGood Fri 03-Jul-15 21:32:45

If you're already constipated, you probably need to deal with that as opposed to eating more food which will induce stomach cramps or discomfort. The initial blockage needs to go first. Hopefully, the lactulose will help with that and if not, glycerine suppositories are supposed to be very good.

I had two emcs, but the first was after an episiotomy and several failed ventouse attempts. I remember there was a real psychological barrier with going and I had to force myself to relax and trust that my whole lower half wouldn't turn inside out and drop off.

Kinsman Fri 03-Jul-15 21:34:55

Spydra - I thought the same! grin

BlinkAndMiss Sun 05-Jul-15 10:37:48

Lactulose didn't do much for me, I got a soluble powder to drink which was brilliant. It took me about 5 days to go and with the drink it was fine, I'd ring your GP for a phone appointment to get something like that. I've continued to take it too as my body still isn't back to normal 3 weeks on.

Archer26 Mon 06-Jul-15 16:34:31

I also had a episiotomy and it took me 5 days to go. I felt dreadful by day 5 and basically just camped out in the loo. Thank god for DH who could look after DS.

This may be TMI but I found the best way to go was to simply sit there and just let it almost 'fall out'. confused I raised my feet up and avoided pushing as I was so sore. The relief after was amazing.

Heads up, I am 11 weeks post birth and although a million times easier I am still having issues going to the loo.as daft as it sounds I miss how easy going to the loo used to be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now