Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Contraception whilst breastfeeding

(2 Posts)
Etak15 Tue 23-Jun-15 14:14:47

After having dc 4 six months ago and exclusively breastfeeding now he's gradually getting into his food and sleeping for longer stretches at night, I am thinking I need another method of contraception apart from breastfeeding It has worked for me previously and I have a 2 yr gap between all of them using no contraceptives breastfed others till 18 month ish, but before I knew that I wouldn't mind if I became pregnant - now I would mind!! Any recommendations? And why are some contraceptives unsuitable for breastfeeding is it harmful for baby or does it affect milk quality?

imwithspud Sat 27-Jun-15 00:02:52

I think it's to do with certain hormones affecting milk supply. I'm looking into this as well and from what I understand progestogen only contraceptives are okay. So the mini-pill, injection, the coil (I think) and the implant - which is what I'm considering using since I can then forget about it for 3 years. Maybe some others but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now