Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Bleeding day 5

(8 Posts)
BlinkAndMiss Tue 16-Jun-15 06:44:11

I had my baby 5 days ago, normal and straightforward vaginal delivery. My bleeding was heavy for 24 hours and then tapered off to a light pinkish/brownish colour by about day 3. It had a slight odour to it but the midwife said that was normal. Yesterday and today it seems to be quite heavy again, back to being red blood with a few little clots on occasions.

I've been resting due to having a water infection so I know I haven't been overdoing it, I am doing bits and pieces around the house too but nothing excessive. Today I've had a few 'gushes' and clots but no specific pain just a bit of cramping which feels like pulled muscles in my stomach rather than period pain.

What are other people's experiences? Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 16-Jun-15 06:48:48

Day 5 is still very early. I bled red blood for 4-5 weeks (also normal, vaginal delivery). Midwife said it was completely normal.

BlinkAndMiss Tue 16-Jun-15 07:37:24

Thank you smile

Withalittlesparkle Tue 16-Jun-15 08:09:55

I bled for 5-6 weeks.

The cramps you feel are your uterus contracting down to a normal size, as that happens you'll shed more blood

Roseybee10 Wed 17-Jun-15 03:10:17

My bleeding slowed down after a few days but would taper off then get worse at random occasions. It went on that way for a few weeks.

melliemoo1 Wed 17-Jun-15 11:20:52

I had the same gushes every now and then still do on day 18. Not as heavy though.

BlinkAndMiss Wed 17-Jun-15 19:26:22

Thanks for the replies, I think it's the fact it's so intermittent that is a bit unnerving. It sounds like it's all normal though so I will just wait it out smile.

purplebiro Thu 18-Jun-15 13:13:12

It might be gushing because it has been sitting in your uterus/vagina waiting to come out - I passed a massive clot (about 10cm x 15cm) on day four and freaked out - called midwife and they gave that as an explanation - was still worried for a few days afterwards but I'm now coming up to three weeks post birth and lochia is light enough that I don't need pads so I guess all is well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now