Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Umbilical cord advice?!

(8 Posts)
Cgow Wed 10-Jun-15 19:34:42

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this but my little lady is 14 days old today and her cord is still attached. I have a very strong feeling it has now become infected!
I have cleaned the area with sterile water and she seemed fine with it no pain or crying at all! There is a slight odd smell on the cotton after the area was cleaned but nothing too bad? I am a first time mummy so I am totally unsure if this is normal. It has been weeping slightly. I've not registered her just yet so I haven't been able to get her to see my go although I only noticed this this morning.
I have attached a photo of the area do any help/ advice or tips would be grately appreciated until I can get her to see my gp as I wouldn't want it to get any worse!
Thanks xx

Roseybee10 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:42:23

Do you not still see a health visitor every week at this stage?
I'm not sure sorry, neither of mine had their cords longer than 5 days but most babies I know had theirs a lot longer. I'm just not sure what they're meant to look like at that stage.
It doesn't look angry or red and it doesn't seem to be oozing anything yellow or green. If it doesn't smell strongly I think it's probably ok but always better to get checked out for your own piece of mind.

All you can do is keep it clean 1-2 times a day (any more and I think you run the risk of annoying it more) x

CurlsLDN Wed 10-Jun-15 19:45:08

If you look in the front of your red book you should find the number for your health visiting team. Give them a call and they'll either come to you or tell you when their clinic is, they or your midwife are the right people to advise on this (and much easier than getting a gp appt!)

Cgow Wed 10-Jun-15 19:53:21

My gp is useles I would of thought they would of seen her considering she is 2 weeks old! But no! I'll try the health visitor tomorrow and maybe just clean it once more before bedtime! Like I say she's not in any evident pain it's just hard cos everyone I know babies fell off within a week! Hopefully all is ok !! X

humlebee7 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:56:15

My dd had a vile cord too. Stayed on about ten days and smelled like rotten flesh (which is what it was!). I think it's ok - my HV said some dry up and fall off and others are wet - slimy and oozing. They heal outwards I think so it will fall off and heal eventually. My dd's one looked pretty similar to your photo and I was worried it would be a huge bulge but once it falls off it'll heal pretty fast. But no harm in getting someone (HV or doc) to check it over.

Cgow Wed 10-Jun-15 20:05:31

I hope so it's worrying me! My health visitor was here yesterday and said she won't need to see me again I'll call them tomo just to check. It was perfectly fine yesterday it's literally happened over night. I'm worried I may of knocked it she loves laying front down for a cuddle hopefully it will dry out sad she's not had it easy she spent the first 5 days in intensive care poor little lady!! X

smokedgarlic Fri 10-Jul-15 19:44:51

My dd's cord STUNK I was so concerned I called the hospital and they suggested taking her to A&Eshock. I realised pretty quickly she was totally fine and I called our community midwife who said to clean it thoroughly all around with cooled boiled water and as long as she was alert, feeding, no redness or inflammation then it was normal for essentially something rotting ..just an ungodly smell. The next day the cord was no longer attached. None of my other children ever smelt like that.

S2b16 Sun 09-Aug-15 09:42:13

Just keep cleaning it with cooled boiled water, I was told there are no nerve endings etc so won't hurt her. My little boy needed light treatment for jaundice so dried up pretty quickly. Was attached loosely for about 2 days and looked like your dd (only really dry). Hopefully be off in no time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now