Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

freaking out (unnecessarily I'm sure) hard lump behind areola

(4 Posts)
ElleOhElle Fri 05-Jun-15 22:03:35

ok, so I stopped breastfeeding regularly about 1 month ago, continued feeding once at night until about 2/3 weeks ago. My breasts are still quote tender, especially the right one. I just had a bath and noticed the areola looked a bit more prominent than normal (a bit like when you're engorged) so I felt it and it's hard and lumpy all around it. left areola is ok, not painful but very slightly hard on one side.
I feel ok in myself and the area doesn't feel hot.
I'm just freaking out about having hard lumps in my boobs.
Is this normal?
I breastfed exclusively for 5 months. I bf my daughter 4 years ago but don't remember this??

greenflamingo Fri 05-Jun-15 22:09:57

I had similar. Went to doc and they sent me for a check just to be sure but said it's really normal after bf-ing. At the hospital they did a scan to check for blocked ducts etc. try not to worry as it's totally normal but get a check up at some point to put your mind at rest. xxxx

SaulGood Fri 05-Jun-15 22:14:27

I've breastfed two children now and had this both times on decreasing/stopping.

Ibuprofen can help, as can a warm compress. It takes quite a while for you to stop producing milk and I was a bit lumpy for a couple of months on and off.

Keep an eye on it over the weekend and if it doesn't improve or you experience pain, discomfort or fever, you need to see somebody.

ElleOhElle Fri 05-Jun-15 22:22:17

thank you, will see how it goes over the weekend x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now