Talk

Advanced search

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Johnsons Baby Lotion - purpose?

(9 Posts)
Allthatnonsense Fri 05-Jun-15 10:11:56

does anyone know what Johnsons Baby Lotion (pink bottle) is actually intended for?
I tried it as a cleanser on my face and it burned so I wouldn't dream of using it on my baby.
They obviously still sell it, but no one that I know uses it. I'm wondering if it's one of those "newborn essentials" destined for the bin?

Newtobecomingamum Sun 07-Jun-15 18:02:32

Hi, I never used any creams lotions or potions on baby. I got given so many Johnson baby products at baby shower and didn't use them until my son was just over one. I'm sure they wouldn't do any harm but I just think it's personally best to stay natural with baby skin x

Isolde85 Tue 30-Jun-15 17:55:49

Ahaha this is hysterical. DS is almost 2 and I don't think I've ever opened my giant pink bottle... Maybe one day... I use Waitrose Body Butter for moisturising, it's delicious!

LamppostInWinter Tue 30-Jun-15 18:00:46

I've a drawer full of johnsons stuff from my baby shower, all unopened!

I know some people use the baby oil as a massage oil, it is a bit burny though so can't imagine it'd be too pleasant!

BornIn2000 Thu 02-Jul-15 11:24:42

I got given loads of the stuff, I haven't used it on baby. I use it on myself as a moisturiser. It smells good anyway. Seems a shame to waste it. New baby skin is so soft anyway it doesn't really need moisturising.

cherrypiecoco Mon 03-Aug-15 15:08:42

http://www.babylifetime.com/article/7984/johnson-johnson-admits-the-presence-of-cancer-causing-chemicals-in-their-baby-products/
Hi ladies
This link tells you about how Johnson products contain cancer causing ingredients. Their powder also causes ovarian cancer too when used on babies bottom.

rumbelina Mon 03-Aug-15 15:37:48

It's really good for cleaning the metal counter behind a bar!

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 03-Aug-15 15:49:39

cherry - the baby powder causes cancer is total unproven BS at this stage. Talc has been found in ovarian tumours but that doesn't mean that talc CAUSED the tumour. Because some studies are inconclusive (with the more scientifically rigorous ones finding no links between talc use and cancer) advice is now to avoid use of talc in the genital region. This is more of a 'just in case' scenario than a 'we know our product causes cancer when used in this way'.

Do you really think J&J would be able to continue to sell it and just change the usage advice if was proven to cause cancer? Really? Especially to continue to market it to babies??

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 03-Aug-15 15:51:27

Talcum powder and cancer - from Cancer Research UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now