As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Midwives - Help!

(3 Posts)
BeeJay24 Fri 15-May-15 22:16:14

Hi, I was hoping if there are any midwives out there you could help me please? Is there a basic/blanket procedure for assisting women the first time they mobilise to the toilet or shower after giving birth to first baby. I gave birth to a healthy boy almost a year ago. Birth was a bit tough as he was in a funny position so epidural went in, episiotomy and forceps delivery. I was also catheterised. I had above normal blood loss. Less than 24hours after having baby I thought as a new mum I felt normal...tired, a bit weak but ok. Unaware of my blood loss I was left to go to the shower on the maternity ward, pushing baby in cot...I blacked out, fell, dislocated and fractured my ankle. Long story short, the same day, I had the ankle fixed with plate and screws but I couldn't carry my newborn baby for about 8 weeks as I couldn't walk. I still fear the injury and I feel it every day. It's made me hugely depressed at times. Should someone have insisted I be accompanied to the shower?? Any help very much appreciated. Thank you.

Newtobecomingamum Fri 29-May-15 06:04:56

Hi, so sorry to read about your experience!! I had quite a traumatic birth and literally after giving birth there was no support for me by MW. I had violently been sick all over myself, needed hours of stitching, dried blood everywhere and I needed cleaning. I hadn't eaten in nearly 24h as I kept being sick etc, they hadn't released my bladder it was so full but I couldn't tell because of epidural etc. My husband had to fight to get me some toast!! Help drag me to a shower unit and clean me down as I couldn't move. They offered no support or help! It wasn't for my husband god knows what I would have done. I ended up discharging myself 2h after giving birth (was my first) as I was traumatised my it in there and no MWs came to see if I was ok after in the empty ward. Only the doctor to check baby over. Best thing ever was to go home a husband could take proper care of me.

That is bloody awful what they did to you!! I would make a complaint about your treatment and maybe see a councillor or speak to GP about the experience.

Obviously not all MWs are that bad and I know many people have had great experiences. But obviously in our situation they really let us down Xxx

Lonelylass1218 Mon 01-Jun-15 22:26:21

Sorry about your experience, I was a student midwife and always checked in ladies. Once catheter was taken out I encourage to drink water and called back after an hour to tell them to go to the toilet. I would tell them to stand up on their own but be beside them and if the wobbled then I would tell them to wait a few mins and try again with them if they where fine once they got up then I wouldnlet them do things on there own as the have a buzzer for help and I would be checking each lady every 39 mins and able to hear someone call for help. I do not know if there is a protocol for this. Check if your hospital has a birth after service where you can discuss it with someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now