Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hair loss after giving birth - when does it stop?

(18 Posts)
bunjies Sat 18-Jun-05 20:49:23

I had my 3rd baby 4 months ago and I've been losing shed loads of hair ever since. How long does the hair loss go on for as it's really getting me down, especially when it blocks the bath plughole .

Tipex Sat 18-Jun-05 21:22:55

Hi Bunjies, it can be variable but can persist quite a while. Annoying isnt it? Would it be worth asking your GP to just check your thyroid profile?

zaphod Sat 18-Jun-05 21:26:54

About 10 months IME. Or you could become pg again, which stops the hairloss.. I honestly thought I was going bald after no.4, but when I became pg it stopped.

teeavee Sat 18-Jun-05 21:29:40

i lost a lot of hair in the first few months too.

but your hair is much thicker during pregnancy - so subsequent hair loss may seem dramatic, but in reality it's probably just your hair getting 'back to normal'...

futurity Sat 18-Jun-05 21:58:28

Going through this as well. I found a posting recently which I wrote when DS1 was 4 months old and I commented on the hair loss and here I am with DS2 going through the same thing at 4 months! Can't remember how long it lasted for..I had longish hair first time round so i cut it all off as the hair loss was annoying me. Short hair this time round and it just looks so rubbish at the moment..limp and lifeless ..probably due to it all falling out! So no advice..just symphathy!

lunavix Sat 18-Jun-05 22:02:07

mine is still going... ds is 14 months

mandyc66 Sat 18-Jun-05 22:37:46

not sure when it stops...but it does!!!
apparantly you are only loosing waht you didnt loose through pregnancy!!!!!
I always thought I would end up totaly bald!!! But I never did!!!!

Prufrock Sun 19-Jun-05 12:46:17

I didn't raelly notice hair loss with dd, but now, with ds 14 months, I am almost bald. I have been losing great hunks of hair for the past 6 weeks, and see patches of my scalp. I can also see very fine new hair growing back (and piles of hair all over the house)

mandyc66 Sun 19-Jun-05 19:12:55

gosh1 never had it that bad! are yoou sure its due to the birth of your baby?
Maybe youu should have it checked out. sorry I hope that hasnt worried yoou

bunjies Sun 19-Jun-05 20:49:28

Looks like the general consensus is that this is normal but I will keep an eye on it though. It doesn't help that I have a bit of a hair phobia and can't stand the stuff if it is anywhere other then where it should be, i.e. attached to a head! Have to clear out the bath hole after every shower and it makes me gag when I have to pull out a great wodge of it...ugh.

mandyc66 Sun 19-Jun-05 21:00:49

I have quite short hair and the bath plug was full after each shower..like completely blocked...didnt go bald though!!!

Prufrock Sun 19-Jun-05 21:53:31

I have seen my homeopath about it, and consensus is that I am just losing 2 babies worth! (And OK "bald" may have been a slight exaggeration - but definately very thinning

mandyc66 Sun 19-Jun-05 22:01:50

well thats ok then. just look after what you have!

mandyc66 Sun 19-Jun-05 22:02:47

are your two really close together then. did you not have time to loose it with number one!! or are you really pulling it out!!!!

Prufrock Mon 20-Jun-05 09:18:58

No, 2 years between them. But I bf both for a year, so I only had 3 months between finishing bf and getting pregnant

mandyc66 Mon 20-Jun-05 10:02:41

but that wont affect the hair loss will it?

Magscat Mon 20-Jun-05 19:51:56

Thanks Bunjies for asking this questoin - have been meaning to ask myself.

I don't remember it being an issue with ds 4 years ago but this time round it started coming out 4 months after dd was born.

She is nearly 6 months now & I think the loss rate has slowed down but there's still shed loads on the comb every morning and no-one ever borrows my chair in the Office cos it looks like a long haired cat has slept on it!

LOOBYLOU2 Tue 21-Jun-05 13:32:10

Mine started falling out when I stopped breastfeeding
I was really depressed about it - my parting seemed to be two inches wide!
Unfortunately I would have to say that it has only got back to it's normal lustrous self this year - DD is 21/2!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now