Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 09 - weather and jabs = hot cross babies

(995 Posts)
Momino Thu 02-Jul-09 22:19:32

hope i'm not duplicating

flippineck Thu 02-Jul-09 22:31:47

Thanks for this momino, can we have cocktails now please?!

Feeling so sorry for myself that I'm tempted to re-post my 'me, me, me' post here.

LoobyLou36 Thu 02-Jul-09 22:37:16

yay!

bookmarking

Momino Thu 02-Jul-09 22:37:57

pula, flippin, hope your days ended ok and you've been able to relax.

grumpy, i'm not going to talk to you because i'm so envy about your alpha.

belgian hope your dd feels better.

spanx - i'm sorry to be so forgetful, who asked me about these? I tried the pants on with the dress i'm meant to wear tomorrow night and they do work. very expensive (£30) for nylon support shorts but they did tone my tummy so i don't have to remember to 'suck in' all the time. Also saved me from buying a new dress which may have cost considerably more than the Spanx.

hair dye: i didn't get it done in the end as i was worried Harper fussing and also didn't feel like spending anymore than the £38 shock it cost me just to get my hair cut and styled. anyway, i'll get a babysitter if i decide to get it done next time.

going out tomorrow night for cocktails and dinner to celebrate my last night of my 30s. anyone want to join me in a virtual cocktail? <remembers wistfully in our pregnant state when we used to have virtual cocktails>

i'm dying for a mojito.

Momino Thu 02-Jul-09 22:39:41

flippin, cross-posted! you read my mind about the cocktails grin. i'm having a Sam Adams beer right now but would really like a mojito.

what would you like? i'll order one straight away...

flippineck Thu 02-Jul-09 22:41:55

ooh, a mojito would be good, or maybe a top quality margarita.

A is finally asleep on me. Too scared to move though.

llareggub Thu 02-Jul-09 22:42:11

Hello

Just popping in because I am working hard with DH. As we feared, his job is gone but we have reached a compromise and he has left with a resignation and a reference. Phew. We have spent this evening brainstorming and have come up with what we think is a doable plan. He has been running a business on the side for some time, but now we have to make it work as his main source of income. So tomorrow he is going to get up and "go to work" on our plan.

There are lots of other things that we have discussed in our "personal life" rather than business life and whilst we have a way to go, in some ways already we feel stronger after this week. We had our Relate session and they gave us some useful strategies. Part of me feels like we should try that and also work together on the business. Already I have spent less time on here and we have spent more time talking.

So, I think things are going to be OK. Money will be tight but hey, we're all healthy and if the worst comes to the worst his parents have offered to help financially. But we're OK for at least 4 months, so long as I can get the tax credits sorted PDQ.

There is a glimmer of hope that DH can go back to his old workplace as a contractor which is bizarre but helpful!

Hopefully this will turn out to be one of those things that turns out for the best in the long run.

Sorry for me me me. Dandy I read your post about the appeal, hope it goes well.

Thank you for all of your kind wishes and support, it means a lot.

I will now be back in the thread and hopefully able to be participating more!

Tummum Thu 02-Jul-09 22:45:36

OOooh Oooh - another Mojito here please.

Monimo - it was me asking about Spanx... will now go and purchase a pair :-) in time for the first weekend off from the kids in the past, ermm, 5 years in 2 weekends time. G is coming along, but I don't classify him as a kid yet given he is immobile and can't answer me back yet !

Tummum Thu 02-Jul-09 22:50:01

Llare cross post. You are an amazingly strong woman to deal with this situation with such dignity.

Blottedcopybook Thu 02-Jul-09 23:07:53

Llare I've been thinking about you all day, you sound quite upbeat and I think you've found your strength in the face of adversity. Good luck xx

MatthewAndBumpsMummy Thu 02-Jul-09 23:13:13

yay! i nice new thread, im gonna try my best to keep up with this one better and hopefully post more if i can.

the thread title is so right, L has been so clingy and grumpy this last week, its been hard work! L went from being really settled and sleeping really well to being awake alot during the day but not happily awake, awake and very grumpy coz he wamts to be alseep really, but then waking up everytime i put him down after struggling to get him to sleep aswell he then wakes straight up screaming coz he's tired. he just wants to be held all the time but this just makes him hotter (and me for that matter) im hoping its gonna cool down abit coz this is driving me mad.

on top of that DS1 is being a total monkey most of the time, doing everything he shouldnt be and drving me round the bend! he cant amuse himself at home for more than 3 minutes and just constantly moaning and whinging about things. ive really had enough of him, and i hate feeling like that about him coz he can be such a pleasure to be with really. im hoping its the weather bothering him too and it will all settle down soon.

so all in all ive got two very grumpy, whingy, clingy, demanding little boys. oh the joys! smile but i love them soo much and would never be without them, i should be cherishing them really but its just hard work sometimes.

sorry for me me me post (again!) hope everyone else is well and not having to many problems with this weather. lets hope it cools down soon.

Momino Thu 02-Jul-09 23:24:03

llare, been thinking about you as well and sending you my quiet support. am amazed as well by your strength.

M&Bmummy, totally agree about hard work but cherish them feeling. i just want to scream at my DDs most of the time but have just looked in on eachof them sleeping and can't express how much i love them [happy sigh].

dandy, also thinking about you. good luck with the appeal.

Momino Thu 02-Jul-09 23:26:07

think it makes more sense, 'hard-work-but-cherish-them feeling'. or does it hmm. can't think tonight.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Thu 02-Jul-09 23:27:40

Booooooooooooooooooooooooookmarking. llare you're remarkable smile. DH started his business whe we had no money. He's still going 2 years on. I hope everything goes well......

Momino Thu 02-Jul-09 23:32:00

oh, grumpy, thanks for your kind comment earlier about me not looking my age. i use the soft lens in my photos wink.

llareggub Fri 03-Jul-09 00:03:35

Thanks peeps! We are quietly confident here and feel a lot better as a couple.

Anyone know anything about tax credits? Do you think we'd be able to claim anything from now or do you think we'll have to wait 6 weeks because he resigned from work? Or am I thinking of JSA? When I spoke to them earlier this week they didn't mention a delay and I can't find any information online about that.

Cheers!

runningmonkey Fri 03-Jul-09 00:19:58

Popping in. Did i hear the word mojito???

Llare glad you are ok have been tyinkng about you

dandy hope appeal goes well. Grrr re the school being pains re the route.

Pula n flippin sorry you have had pants days hope tonight n tomorrow are better

hi to everyone else hope it is cooling down for you all (still 25 here)

night night xx

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Fri 03-Jul-09 07:11:35

Morning!

Thanks for the new thread

DS was really unsettled yesterday. Like many of your LOs, he just wanted to be cuddled. Pity he didn't understand that that just makes him hotter. On the plus side, in the middle of all his upset, he slept for 45mins in his moses basket. He's not managed more than 10 mins before! Guess he'd worn himself out.

Dandy - good luck with the appeal

Llare - sounds like you and your DH are working things through. Not easy at the best of times, nevermind with a newborn. I guess it may take a lot of time and effort but - reading between the lines - it sounds like you are both prepared for that.
Sorry, I don't know about tax credits.

Momino - have a great birthday and enjoy your drinks.
Btw, I have it on good authority that you definitely don't look 40! wink

I'm off to meet a couple of friends and their children this morning for a coffee in town (or in my case a hot chocolate as I don't like tea or coffee! )
Then this afternoon my mum's coming over as I have a huge pile of ironing waiting that I'm struggling to get to.
On Sunday we're hosting a BBQ for all the couples (and babies!) from our NCT group. Hope it's dry and not too hot!

flippineck Fri 03-Jul-09 08:23:28

Morning all.

Llaregub - sounds like you've made some real progress, and really positive about it. Thinking of you, and hoping that things go smoothly. re tax credits, I'm not sure but the helpline people are actually fairly helpful. Whenever I've phoned with a change in circumstances things get updated very quickly. Actually, that's something I should do today, phone them to let them know about the drop in DH's income.

We had a reasonable night with A after the dreadful day and evening, but of course it can never go smoothly, can it? DD1 was really disturbed in the night and DH and I were in and out of her room quite a few times between 1 and 2 ish. Daft little thing insisted on using her duvet, not just the sheet I'd offered and was sweating like anythig, it was so hot in her room.

Fingers crossed for better days for everyone!

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 03-Jul-09 08:24:41

llare I think the 6 weeks only applies to JSA - as long as one of you works at least 16 hours a week (that's 'usually', so ok if you're on mat leave), you can claim tax credits.

I have finally lost some weight yay! I have been very good re bisuits and chocolate. Still need some spankingly good Spanx though! Do they do ones that hold in both jelly-belly and lard-arse?

momi do you keep a portrait in your attic a la Dorian Grey?

Right, off to make pack-ups and iron school clothes (they were carefully folded and taken up to DD1's room, she promptly threw thw whole lot in a crumpled heap in a corner of her room shock).

Catch you all later, come on Andy Murray (even though you come across as a dour, miserable git).

Oh, quick question - 1 nipple is really sore, I get sharp pains when S latches on - very like the toe-curling pains of the first couple of weeks. Does anyone have any ideas? It's sore now, slightly burning? Could it be thrush maybe?

Belgianchocolates Fri 03-Jul-09 09:30:14

Hi everyone,

A new thread, how exciting!

Flippin, pula and anyone else who had a hot cross baby yesterday, I hope hings are a bit easier today now the weather has cooled a bit.

llare Sounds like things are on the up between you. I hope your dh's business does well.

dandy good luck with the appeal. I'm a bit shock at you being low on the waiting list because of a dispute of the path you take to the school. I always thought the distances were counted as the crow flies.

momi happy birthday! Enjoy a few coctails on my behalf!

Well the day hasn't started of brilliantly. Firstly I didn't sleep well even though C did. I woke at the time she normally wakes for a feed but she kept on sleeping. After that I never really went back to sleep properly. Then dd1 is still ill and watching Cbeebies as we speak. It's a shame she's missed the school trip to the farm, but she seems to have accepted it. Not looking forward to the long drive tonight with a baby and an ill dd1, but I'll survive smile

LoobyLou36 Fri 03-Jul-09 09:37:04

morning...
lare glad you're working things out

momino you definetly do not look your age smile enjoy your birthday

grumpy your nipple pain sounds similar to mine when I had thrush - get it checked out

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 03-Jul-09 09:51:28

loobs what did you do about the thrush? I supppose I ought to ring my docs.....

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 03-Jul-09 09:55:50

I cannot type hmm

LoobyLou36 Fri 03-Jul-09 10:00:43

I had it early on with M so my HV got me a prescription. Had cream for my nipples (Daktarin) and medicine for M it cleared up quite quickly. M had white spots on her tongue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now