Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2008 - Now the babies are half a year, but it feels like we only just got here!

(1000 Posts)
hanaflower Thu 23-Apr-09 19:24:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocolategal Thu 23-Apr-09 19:30:14

Thanks hana
back later

Ceebee74 Thu 23-Apr-09 19:44:00

Hana thanks - just bookmarking smile

LackaDAISYcal Thu 23-Apr-09 20:09:27

lovely hana smile

well done ceebee on the jeans!

rutho, I spoke to the plumbers and they cover Sheffield as well. I'll FB you with their details smile

5inthebed Thu 23-Apr-09 20:13:01

shock at the huuuuuuuge gas bill Rutho! I agree, £200 is far too much to pay for 18 months.

Sumo is FF, so has a bottle after each "meal" he has. He has about 6 oz of milk, so not too bad for milk intake.

So who is still sterilising? I have always sterilised til 1 year old, but I know the guidelines say 6 months now (Not that I've ever followed guidelines wink)

tegan Thu 23-Apr-09 20:16:42

Evening all, just bookmarking for future reference.

Off to bed now i will check in tomorrow

MonkeyMargot Thu 23-Apr-09 20:17:41

Blimey rutho that's one heck of a gas bill...

thanks hana for new thread title

lacks when are you getting your norks out for photoshoot? good on you!

MonkeyMargot Thu 23-Apr-09 20:20:26

Hmm... re. breastfeeding once solids are introduced...want to share my thoughts if I may.
I was thinking about this only last night, that I can't actually visualise NOT breastfeeding. This might sound odd - I don't mean that I want to breastfeed Plum forever and eternity. But I can't imagine our world where she eats food and drinks milk from a bottle/cup. Because our whole lives and routine are geared around the breastfeeding. Does this make sense?

ruthosaurus Thu 23-Apr-09 20:20:40

Thanks, Hana*!

*Ceebee
, oh, congratulations! There really is nothing quite like getting into the denims again, is there?

Okay, Gas Bill...

They screwed up the meter reading that we did for them.

Sheesh.

DH, who does all sorts of things in his housing association job including meter reading, called NPower after I had broken the news and shown him the bill and the man on the other end of the phone got him to read the meter again and lo and behold they had missed a digit off the reading we supplied, so it looked like we had used 1,000 more units than we in fact have.

FFS. Now all my hair is grey, even the dyed bits. But thank goodness for the nice man at NPower who got us to check the meter reading, and thank goodness for DH, who is calm in a crisis (someone in this house needs to be). And a stern reprimand to the silly cow at NPower that I spoke to earlier today.

I was bricking it, wondering how to tell DH. I've been really nice all evening, properly "How was your day, do have a gin sling and let me massage your shoulders as you eat the dinner I have lovingly prepared" nice.

Anyway, phew. But, on the bright side, someone is coming to do a new boiler quote tomorrow anyway, even if we never use it. Thanks for all the help and useful comments!

And I hoovered most of the house while I was fretting.

PS, and nearly at the end, promise, I gave Finbo a sneaky lick of my icecream in the park. He didn't seem too bothered, but did keep sticking his tongue out and trying to look at it all the way home, and then I remembered about the cornetto incident... Apparently no harm done.

Right, sorry for mega me-post AGAIN. Thankfully for all concerned I have to give DH the computer back as apparently there's some actual real work or something that he has to do!

twinklingfairy Thu 23-Apr-09 20:28:26

haha, liking your summary hana and the title.

Well, after coming on to gripe and moan this morning. DS has had a very good day.
As my mother always says 'they make liars of us all' these babies. You say one thing and they do another. It's as if they can hear you and I never even uttered a word, only typed!
Mind you yesterday I did voice that I was fed up with J, to DD (it was a particularily low point. He had been shouting as us both for a very long time and I was exhausted with itblush). That night, DH put DD to bed and she informed him that mummy was fed up with Jblushblush Tell tale!wink

DS is also a stander rosa we got loads of sqeaks and squeals from DS today whilst he was in his door bouncer thing. I really needed to hear it too. Then went swimming, just with J, his first confidence class. Brand new to the area. Was good!

cricri how do you get a baby to feed whilst in a sling. I so wanted to do the whole attachment parenting thing and, if I could get J into anything other than my (homemadewink Roll up, roll up get yours here!) Mei tai I would try to feed him in it.
I know they say you can feed in a mei tai but I just can't figure out how. I have a tricotti too, but it just seems so much more awkward and not really worth the fuss. I just get frustrated and give up.

ruth I have been there, with electricity. We are currently paying £210 a month to pay off accrued debts! Mainly down to them telling me the wrong monthly amount!angry I told them it would not be enough they said it would be, next thing I know they have changed their minds and I am miles behind them!!
Top that with the meter reading newby who didn't know my meter was outside and never caught me in, so estimates for too long.
Finally had the correct reading recently (I caught him at my gate and said don't come in here, it's in the driveway.)
We are nearly there now though, getting the correct reading made a huuge difference.

Sure I have missed somethingblush

hanaflower Thu 23-Apr-09 20:37:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ceebee74 Thu 23-Apr-09 20:42:08

Monkey aww that is so sweet smile They do grow up so fast though don't they??

5 I am still sterilising Sam's bottles - he is 22 weeks old. I think I carried on doing DS1's until he was 1...not sure how long I am going to carry on doing Sam's tbh.

MonkeyMargot Thu 23-Apr-09 20:42:38

hana thank you. And good for you - I want to carry on BF too. But I do worry about when I return to work in July, as I need to get her to take milk from another recepticle other than me hmm.
When do you start your new job? And what will you do re. BF?

ellielou02 Thu 23-Apr-09 20:55:26

Hi all just back from alton towers, phew need a holiday now lol. Great title hana thanks, right away to catch up now

coolkat Thu 23-Apr-09 21:02:37

Just bookmarking, thanks Hana. X

phee96 Thu 23-Apr-09 21:34:13

Thanks Hana and I love the summary

Just bookmarking, will catch up tomorrow

ruthosaurus Thu 23-Apr-09 21:45:44

Monkey, me too but Fin twigged a long time ago that if he refuses to have expressed milk in a bottle then I will eventually feed him. We are going to have to do some baby training in the next couple of months!

Honeymoonmummy Thu 23-Apr-09 21:59:40

Rutho, that's a relief re your bill! I think you may have dated my husband, he used to be mistaken for Chezza too.

I took DD to first Puddle Ducks today, it was good but it's made my dodgy post-birth knees 10 times worse. I'm going to hobble to bed soon..

ruthosaurus Thu 23-Apr-09 22:01:32

Twinkling, noooooooooooo, how unfair. Are you with NPower as well?

HMM, grin but what is a Puddle Ducks? I was imagining baby swimming but am having trouble relating that to your knees!

Honeymoonmummy Thu 23-Apr-09 22:02:59

It is baby swimming, like Water Babies. I was on my knees in the pool holding her. I can see how you'd have a problem making the connection now you mention it... grin

LackaDAISYcal Thu 23-Apr-09 22:06:02

lol twinkling, if they make liars of us, then bumble will be up partying all night again wink

phew for the gas bill rutho....I hope it;s now something more reasonable and manageable.

I would imagine with sterilising that if you are making bottles up immediately prior to a feed then sterilising not that important; I switched to FF at 20 months with DD and never sterilised....and after this age when they are crawling around on the floor and stuffing eveything they find on said floor in their mouths, it all becomes a bit redundant.

ruthosaurus Thu 23-Apr-09 22:07:50

Ohhhhhhh, gotcha. Also a member of the crap knees club! I haven't been yet, I am scared to go on my own to the pool in case Fin screams the place down. DH is too depressed about his post-baby body to come with us.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 23-Apr-09 22:08:04

20 months.....I meant 10, lol smile

LackaDAISYcal Thu 23-Apr-09 22:09:00

pmsl rutho; you are very funny grin

5inthebed Thu 23-Apr-09 22:10:12

I make 4 bottles up at a time, lasts a while as Sumo goes 3-4 hours between bottles. I used to make 24 hours worth but found 1-2 were getting wasted as he is very hitty missy with his times.

Don't mind sterilising, not the most boringest job in the house.

This thread is not accepting new messages.