Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hair Loss

(3 Posts)
Rebecca2008 Tue 07-Oct-08 10:21:34

I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I'm going crazy and wanted to re-open it for some advice. I gave birth to my son 20 ago, and my hair has been falling out for about 7 weeks. It's no longer just thin, it's barely there, with serious bald patches at the sides of my crown. It's so scary and a bit depressing, as my HV looked alarmed and asked me to book a GP apt. I had similar hair loss with my first son, although it didn't quite get this bad. Has anyone else experienced the bald patches along with the thinning? I told her I was hoping it was due to the hormone changes (it makes sense right??), but she wouldn't have it! There's no alopecia in my family, but I'm still panicking, it's sounds silly but permanent hair loss is too depressing to bear thinking about...any help would be greatly appreciated!

AMumInScotland Tue 07-Oct-08 15:42:36

I lost quite a lot of hair with DS, but when I went to the GP the thing she said was the most important was whether you could see new hairs growing back in. Well not you personally, but DP or a friend looking closely at the scalp. If there's hair growing back on the bald spots, then it's just a bad case of the hormone-change hair loss. If the bald patches are hair-free then you need to look into it properly because it could be something they need to treat.

HTH!

nigglewiggle Tue 07-Oct-08 15:53:11

I am going through exactly the same thing. Mine is receding. At first it was possible to cover it as it was going at either side, but now going in the middle too! My scalp hurts also, does yours?

I saw GP who said hair was growing back, but did blood test to check iron levels and thyroid. Found iron levels were low, so now on tablets.

However, I saw a haematologist about something else and he said he didn't think it was due to iron levels and thought I should see a dermatologist. Just waiting for referral from GP (who was a bit sniffy about being over-rulled), but I will let you know what he says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now