Talk

Advanced search

Dummies

(8 Posts)
mumest1019 Fri 08-Nov-19 05:05:57

Thoughts on when people give a dummy to their baby? Dummy for a week old baby?

OP’s posts: |
ParadiseLaundry Fri 08-Nov-19 06:09:15

Is your baby breastfed? Personally I'd be a bit worried about missing feeding cues at that age if they had a dummy.

Although definitely get you wanting to use one. DC1 didn't have one and I am adamant DC2 will take one!

BillywilliamV Fri 08-Nov-19 06:21:23

Dummies were fine for my two, almost from birth. Both breast fed. Took them away on eldest DD’s 3rd birthday.
I think it is a matter of aesthetics honestly, can you bear the look of them? And some people will judge..

Unsureursula Fri 08-Nov-19 06:21:39

Our baby is almost 9 days old and we introduced the dummy at day 1. I wasn’t sure how I felt at first but actually she gets great comfort from it (as did I as a child) so I’m happy to see her happy.

FridalovesDiego Fri 08-Nov-19 06:28:13

some people will judge I think parenting is a lot tougher now because people judge everything. Mine are grown and there was definitely more camaraderie and less judgement when they were small. If it brings your baby comfort, why not? I never found it affected my milk supply.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 08-Nov-19 08:26:42

Both mine had a dummy, both bf and no issues.
Am not sure if people judged - I was probably too tired to care!

AfternoonTea12 Fri 08-Nov-19 08:49:54

Sometimes I think we judge ourselves far harshly than others actually do. If giving your child a dummy works then go ahead and use one. My daughter (9m) has a dummy for naps and bedtime, she takes great comfort from it and never struggled with nipple confusion.

Angelinthenightx Fri 08-Nov-19 10:20:35

Im using a dummy and breast feeding my baby is 2wks old & has been fine still feeding every 2/3hrs when she is hungry she wont take the dummy.
dummies are fine as they lower the risk of cot death aswell, if u look on the nhs website .
dummies used to be a bad thing but not anymore,dont worry what people think do whats best for your baby & u.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in