Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby white tongue

(16 Posts)
lulu12345 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:10:51

Hi, my baby is only 4 weeks old, exclusively breastfed, and has had a white coating on her tongue for at least a week, maybe more. Dr Google tells me this could be thrush but I don’t think she’s in discomfort when feeding and there are no other white patches around her mouth or gums. Does anyone else have experience with this? Should I take her to doctor tomorrow?

Pooshweens Tue 13-Feb-18 18:15:41

My baby had this for her first few months and it was undeveloped taste buds or something like that

Harmless and went away after a few months but had a skanky looking tongue for a while!

If yours hasn't got spots around the mouth and it's not getting worse, it's prob that as opposed to thrush. But if you're concerned get it checked out

lulu12345 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:21:56

Thanks, that’s my gut feeling. I might just go along to clinic and ask HV tomorrow rather than get GP app.

Minimonkeysmum Tue 13-Feb-18 18:31:00

If it's not bothering her, you aren't experiencing any pain or discomfort, and it wipes off with a cloth, it's most likely likely just milk residue on her tongue.

Ohb0llocks Tue 13-Feb-18 18:32:26

Does it wipe off? If so then probably milk residue.

Me and my DS2 had thrush a few weeks ago. His tongue was white (no other symptoms, spots etc), my nipples were absolutely fine but I kept getting the worst shooting pains in my boob!

lulu12345 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:12:54

Thanks.. I’ve tried wiping it off but can’t get in easily to do it or to see what’s happening as it’s towards the back of her tongue. I wouldn’t say it wipes off easily though. I’m not getting any pain or symptoms at all.

Sorry to hear you had it Oh.. hope you’re both better now.

Ohb0llocks Wed 14-Feb-18 09:48:32

We're absolutely fine now. But in the beginning the only symptom was the white tongue so I'd maybe get checked anyway because if it is thrush you will both need treating.

lulu12345 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:07:31

Just back from docs and been given the treatment for thrush.. He said he couldn’t be 100% sure it was thrush but possibly a mild case and no harm in treating. Now to work out how on Earth I’m going to get 1.25ml of the gel into her mouth 4x a day after feeds when she just likes to fall asleep on the boob!! 🙈

Ohb0llocks Wed 14-Feb-18 12:25:52

Have they given you some too? What have they given her?

Ummmmgogo Wed 14-Feb-18 12:28:17

i scratched the white coating off with my fingernail because the thrush medicine didn't do anything

lulu12345 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:30:43

Yes we’ve got 2 different kinds of miconazole cream for me and her

lulu12345 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:34:17

Did your baby let you do that Umm? I thought it was meant to be quite sore if thrush?

Ohb0llocks Wed 14-Feb-18 12:41:04

I had daktarin for me, and nystatin drops for DS.

The gel will be so much easier cause you can just stick a finger in there and swish it round. The drops were 1ml of thick aniseed flavour stuff, was a nightmare to give! He started to quite like the taste in the end though 😂

Ummmmgogo Wed 14-Feb-18 12:50:51

tbh he didnt seen thrilled about it 😂 i was sure it was just a milk build up after nearly 2 weeks of thrush medicine not doing a thing.

Ummmmgogo Wed 14-Feb-18 12:52:17

his tongue wasn't inflamed underneath the white coating and lots of mind at baby group said they had done the same thing. I don't think it's recommended though obviously.

lulu12345 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:12:14

Maybe it was just milk build up Umm? Even the doc today said difficult to know difference. My son had a bit of a white tongue too as a baby but I never did anything about it as had no idea about thrush at the time.

Ohh.. those drops sound rank. The gel is flavoured with chocolate and orange which sounds a bit better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now