Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I start breast feeding at four days

(9 Posts)
Princess9891 Sat 10-Feb-18 23:17:12

Stressful start she had to go neonatal I couldn't express...now milk coming in and despite being formula fed till now is rooting around. I've took my top off as leaking milk everywhere but she seems to struggle to lock on so to speak. What can I do?

liltingleaf Sat 10-Feb-18 23:18:53

Speak to HCPs looking after you. They should help with any latching issues.

fizzicles Sat 10-Feb-18 23:21:16

I'm sure you can start if you want to. There are some helpful videos here: www.nhs.uk/start4life/breastfeeding-videos

fizzicles Sat 10-Feb-18 23:22:24

Are you in hospital still or home already? Midwives should help if you're still in – can you buzz for someone?

Hoolahoophop Sat 10-Feb-18 23:33:45

Should be possible. We had a difficult start and baby didn't breastfeed until 5 weeks, though it was tube before that not bottle. I haven't used them myself but have heard great things about this organisation www.laleche.org.uk and there is great support on the facebook group breastfeeding younger babies and beyond.

As other have said your hcp should be able to help too.

Good luck.

Princess9891 Sun 11-Feb-18 00:02:25

Am home

Dairymilkmuncher Sun 11-Feb-18 00:11:40

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you can and there are ways and experts out there that will help you. I know there is a few Facebook groups with people with loads of tips I was recommended ukbaps and local nct? Also I think there are phone lines you can call for support.

Loads of skin to skin contact and expressing between feeds and keeping hydrated. Good luck

SpottyBrolly Mon 12-Mar-18 16:40:40

Absolutely you can. My first DC spent his first week in NICU and was nil by mouth fit the first 5 days. Also had a really bad tongue tie. Speak to your health visitor or see if there's a bf sort group locally. Look online for positioning videos and advice. as pp has said plenty of skin to skin, make sure you have drinks and snacks nearby and get some lanisoh you'll get cracked nipples in the first week but it goes. In the first few days you'll need to help your baby to latch on. Horribly this is helpful. Wait until their mouth is wide open, pinch your nipple together and put into their mouth. This us the best way I can describe it no doubt your midwife/ health visitor will be far clearer than I am.

Tinseltower Mon 12-Mar-18 16:42:30

Yes definitely possible. Have a look how to latch on via YouTube or kellymom website

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: