Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help breastfeeding with tounge tie

(7 Posts)
ashleighbean Sun 24-Sep-17 09:16:28

So my little boy was born is 6 days old today and it was noticed on day 4 he has tounge tie he seemed to feed fine in the hospital for first 48hrs but since I have started to notice things the midwives tell you to look for and now gone.into worry mode....

So he doesnt feed for more than 10mins max at a time after 25min feeds in hospital. Then he is out for the count straight after finishing.

He barely opens his eyes when feeding so I am having to blow on his face to keep him sucking

He isnt latching as well as he could be, my milk has come in in the past 24hrs so I can hear him swallowing the milk and seems like a lot of swallows so happy to hear that.

He hasnt got sucking in cheeks or pulling off all the time etc but I am just after some.tips of how to keep breastfeeding until he gets his tounge tie appointment through

Tinycitrus Sun 24-Sep-17 09:23:04

I ended up expressing and giving a bottle for some feeds to give me a rest and ensure DD3 was getting enough milk.

Tongue tie was not diagnosed fir about 10 days - in that time I was treated to explanatory videos, 'advice' from all quarters, cushions, different chairs, pillows etc - and I had to bite down on a belt when DD3 was latching on as it was so painful and even then I cried through each feed.

Don't get to that stage.

If it's sore then get support and don't be afraid to express and use a bottle for some feeds. Good luck flowers

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 24-Sep-17 10:15:58

Congratulations on your new baby! Is your ds going to have his snipped? My first ds had a tongue tie right to the tip of his tongue and we had it done at 7 days old (it was noticed at birth) - it was extremely quick and simple and improved feeding immediately. It was done in the paediatric ENT clinic at my local hospital.

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 24-Sep-17 10:18:12

Sorry - I didn't fully register that you are waiting for an appointment. Basically I just fed all day and all night it seemed like, and kept an eye on his weight / wet nappies etc. He was my first so I didn't have any other kids to look after etc so that was literally all I did! Sat on the sofa and fed!

Isadora2007 Sun 24-Sep-17 10:19:22

It sounds like he (and you!) are actually doing just fab. Watch out for pain if his latch isn't great and re-latch if necessary. That was the only dofference for me with ds who had his TT snipped day 6- huge amounts of pain and some clicking noises on feeding.
Congratulations 💕

SunshineLollipopsRainbows25 Sun 24-Sep-17 11:03:33

my DD was 6 weeks when they realised she had tongue tie, my nipples were ripped to shreds, and was 8weeks by the time it was fully sorted, all I can say is try to persevere, it's hard but once his TT is sorted it'll be great

ashleighbean Sun 24-Sep-17 12:37:27

Thanks for all those comments. Makes me feel so much better. He was weighed on Thur 24hr after my hospital discharge and he had lost some weight and he was weighed again yesterday at 5 days old and thry said hes exactly the same weight so ive now to have him weighed on Tue as they said shouldnt be the same I am sure my dd lost at 2 weighins before putting any on.

Will keep breastfeeding as best I can he is only lasting 10mins max and I had to wake him in the night to feed which worried me again as it had been every 40mins tje night before. I gave him some expressed milk in a bottle at 10pm but shocked me when I woke.at 2am and realised he hadnt woken for a feed inbetween

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now