Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing bag

(19 Posts)
Lonoxo Mon 14-Aug-17 16:36:45

Hi. Baby due in a few months. I have seen baby changing bags and I wonder if they are truly necessary. To me, it's a normal messenger bag with a portable changing mat in it. What do you use and what do you take with you? If you have a changing bag, do you also take your handbag with you? Thanks in advance.

kel1234 Mon 14-Aug-17 16:44:58

I have the silver cross changing bag that matches my pioneer (I do love a pram with all matching accessories).
What I take has changed with age.
From day one, the obvious: wipes, nappies, cream, nappy bags. Change of clothes (babygrow when he was tiny, 'proper' clothes, or outfits from when he got a bit older. He wore babygrows out until he was about a month old, after that he's wear outfits for going out and babygrows for bed).
When he was younger, I'd take his bottles and a travel bottle warmer. Now he's older, a beaker with water, and travel snacks in case he's hungry (usually a pack of veggie straws or cheesy straws).
Also a teething ring and gel when he was teething, medicine if I knew we would be out a long time and he would need it.
Of course I took my own bag. The changing bag had his stuff in it. My stuff was in my bag.

furryelephant Mon 14-Aug-17 16:45:44

I used a backpack! Once I started babywearing frequently it was the easiest thing and I prefer it now smilein the early days I had nappies/wipes/bags and a changing mat.
Sterilising wipes for dummies.
Muslins to cover up when feeding/nursing cover.
I'd try and have a spare change of clothes but would usually forget grin
Spare bib when in a dribbly phase.

I'd put my own things in there too, in a little make up bag I have things like lip balm, hand sanitizer and cream etc.

Orangebird69 Mon 14-Aug-17 16:53:01

I bought a Pacapod Jura. I ebfd my ds so didn't need to carry bottle etc around but found the space v handy for nappies, wipes, medicines, teethers, spare outfit, snacks, red book, water beaker and my stuff ie purse, phone, keys...

I maybe packed too excessively but I like to be prepared. And I loved the bag. Just retired it as ds is 22mo, just about done teething and only needs a few bits for travels now.

Troika Mon 14-Aug-17 16:57:58

I just used a big handbag.

GlitteryGlitter Mon 14-Aug-17 17:02:13

I had a pacapod but retired it at 4 months and now use a normal backpack with a jo jo mama bebe portable change mat.

I've slimmed both my handbag and change bag right down so only take what I need.

I was saying to dh the other day I wish I'd not bothered with the change bag from the start.

Also a babywearer grin

Tw1nsetAndPearls Mon 14-Aug-17 17:05:24

I had a Cath Kidston one and am still using it 18 months later. Haven't used a handbag since DS was born.

When DS was small I used a rucksack as he was in the sling or still use the changing bag across my back. If I was out with DH he would carry the changing bag.

EricaSeas Mon 14-Aug-17 17:09:02

I had a massive changing bag with DTs and it was useful as it was plenty big enough, had a plasticy inside and loads of compartments, and you could sling it over the pram very easily. I used to shove my stuff (I don't carry that much, just keys, money and phone really) in there too. As DTs have got bigger I've just ended up always carrying a big handbag with snacks etc for them in as well. I think this time around I'll use a rucksack so the changing bag doesn't get in the way if DTs are riding on the buggy board or holding the pram handle and I have two free hands. Worth shopping about for the right one still though.

Lules Mon 14-Aug-17 17:10:44

A bag that you don't have to repack each time, that's wipe clean and you don't mind putting dirty things in is pretty essential imo.

Now I have nappies, nappy bags, wipes, changing mat, spare outfit, muslin/bib, snacks, beaker. He's almost 2 and I have no plans to stop taking it. I also take my handbag, unless I only want phone and wallet.

badg3r Mon 14-Aug-17 17:13:43

With first DC I had a baba bing that was ridiculously over filled and used a lot. But by age 1 or so we switched to a rucksack. This time round I have also been using the changing bag. The compartments are handy for keeping things easy to find and stops the nappies getting all scrunched up. But I mainly use it for the changing mat. It is handy because it goes easily over the buggy but in retrospect, so does a rucksack, and the changing bag itself is quite heavy. I think it is a nice to have but not essential.

tshirtsuntan Mon 14-Aug-17 17:16:47

I've just had a big clear out and I've found two unused fold up change mats, one from a stork sak bag that folds into a little square and a pampers one in a zip up pouch thing . Happy to post if anyone wants them? (Pampers pouch is black, stork sak is cream).

BikeRunSki Mon 14-Aug-17 17:49:37

I had a Cath Kidston one. Hated it. Very bulky, but hardly any internal space. Reverted to a backpack soon enough.

Callamia Mon 14-Aug-17 17:55:57

First baby: meticulously packed change bag.

Second: spare nappies, wipes and babygro shoved in handbag.

The only thing I think is actually useful is a folding up change mat.

silkpyjamasallday Mon 14-Aug-17 18:52:14

We just have a rucksack with three compartments, works well and isn't some flowery monstrosity that DP wouldn't want to carry around with him. If you are planning to breastfeed there isn't much kit that you actually have to cart around with you, just nappies, wipes, disposal bags, folding change mat and change of clothes. Maybe some toys and a dummy and snacks as they get older.

Now dd is 11 months I often just shove the bare minimum in one of my more capacious handbags, I didn't take one out with me in the early days just had my important things(keys wallet etc) in a pouch in the backpack.

Lonoxo Wed 16-Aug-17 16:46:36

Thanks! I have a rucksack so will use that.

MrsSaylexx Thu 07-Dec-17 12:38:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KalaLaka Thu 07-Dec-17 12:41:50

furryelephant I'm also a backpack fan. Your back gets enough stress with baby carrying/feeding, I think shoulder bags are too heavy. I sometimes just shove a carrier bag with clothes and nappy stuff under the pushchair too.

KalaLaka Thu 07-Dec-17 12:42:28

Ohhhh this is an old thread fhmm

CC4490 Mon 11-Dec-17 01:37:51

I use a changing bag, I have nappies, wipes, change of clothes, cardi, hat and my bits in such as purse, phone, keys, lipstick, clean top for any sickies and hand santiser. I’ve replaced my handbag with it for now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now