Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
user1498940530 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:58:38

Hi,

I have a 4week old baby and I'm breastfeeding but struggling to cope with the constant demand to be fed. Today my little girl woke at 5am and has wanted constant feeding since then, she hasn't slept for longer than 30 minutes and when she is awake she is rooting and then crying until she goes back on the breast. When I feed her I wait for her to come off by herself (which can take up to an hour on one breast) but within minutes she is rooting again.

I have barely been able to do anything today other than feed her and I don't know what to do? Is this normal newborn behaviour? Is there a possibility she's not getting enough milk?

I am going to see a breastfeeding consultant on Tuesday but would appreciate any advice on the meantime.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 01-Jul-17 22:07:33

It could be totally normal. Hace you got someone who could take her out for a drive or a walk while you get a hours sleep?

Is there someone to bring you drinks and snacks? Have you tried feeding lying down in bed? Some women find it helps with getting some rest.

gluteustothemaximus Sat 01-Jul-17 22:10:39

It sounds normal to me, but you will still need to check: enough wet and dirty nappies, and good weight gain.

It's probably a growth spurt, where they cluster feed, and it feels like you just feed all day long. And even when they've finished, they still want more, and you feel like they're not getting enough milk.

Is latch ok? Honestly, the first 6-8 weeks are the hardest, and then it gets 'easier'.

Seeing a consultant will be great. Good luck x

user1498940530 Sat 01-Jul-17 22:25:49

Yeh my husband has been very supportive and always offers to get me drinks ect when I'm feeding her.
Also she is producing plenty of wet and dirty nappies.

I think the latch is ok but when I see the consultant I can ask her to check.

Hopefully it is just a growth spurt like you said. Thanks for the replies 😊

RememberToSmile1980 Sat 01-Jul-17 22:29:22

I had exactly the same with my son. He fed constantly and never slept for too long. It should calm down hopefully. Check for tongue tie when you go to see the BF consultant. Good luck - it does get easier!

CatAnnoyance Sat 01-Jul-17 22:43:21

Ahh I had a couple of days like this and put it down to a growth spurt. She was literally on and off the breast for about 14 hours one day and I was thinking please don't tell me this is what breastfeeding is like?! But it really isn't, it gets easier and much less frequent. The key is getting through those early weeks. If you have to hunker down on the couch and feed non-stop then make the most of it, get good TV on, snacks and drinks, and use the time to cuddle your lovely snuggly baby and get waited on hand and foot.

Five months in my baby breastfeeds for about ten minutes then has had enough and wants to do something else. Enjoy it while you can!

I went for a one to one with La Leche League the first week she was born and it helped so much, they helped with positioning and latching. So hopefully following your session with the breastfeeding consultant you will feel much better about the whole thing. I know I did!

Good luck!

Teakind Tue 04-Jul-17 23:17:27

Hi I know you've seen the consultant now by I second the suggestion of checking for tongue tie. It made such a difference when we got that sorted as my DD could feed so much more efficiently.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: