Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Formula feeding when on holiday....

(6 Posts)
Admarks Mon 29-May-17 12:34:50

Hi, I'm now exclusively FF my 5 month old. We are going on holiday this weekend and I was wondering if there is a hack for preparing feeds without a perfect prep machine.... I was planning on doing a diy perfect prep type thing by using 2oz boiled bottle water to sterilise the powder and then top up with pre-measured cooled boiled bottle water from the fridge. However, I was wondering if I could use straight bottled water rather than boiling then cooling it instead?

For buying bottled water I was going to follow the advice below:
There should be 200mg or less of Na per litre, and no more than 250mg of SO or SO4 per litre. Always check that the seal on the water you are buying is intact.
Is there anything else I need to consider?

Ps - I'm taking Milton and a bucket whilst we are there and ready mades for the plane journeys.

Thanks in advance!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Mon 29-May-17 15:27:27

Just for travelling part if by plane they will give you boiling water and then hopefully you will have a kettle when there. If by car do whatever you do on a day out.

Have you read the research on safety of perfect prep machines?

Admarks Mon 29-May-17 16:54:25

Thanks Eastmids, I'm not planning on using a perfect prep machine - just want to copy the style of making a bottle by using a measure amount of boiling water to sterilise the formula and then topping up with measured cold water!

My question is therefore do you know if I can use bottled water to make up the cool component of the feed without boiling then cooling it before I use it?

Figgygal Mon 29-May-17 16:59:14

I'm just back from Portugal with a 7 month old

Order ready made bottles to pick up from airport departure side to use when out and pack a tub of powder in your case for making up other bottles. That's how we did it anyway

Figgygal Mon 29-May-17 17:00:19

Bottled water isn't recommended for babies under 1 I think due to the mineral content

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 31-May-17 22:30:54

No I wouldn't advise making with bottled water

So yes make up as the pp machine does - with 2oz freshly boiled and then add powder and then add cooled boiled

Or

Buy ready made. Yes more exspensive - works out about £4 a day if using a late litre bottle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now