Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Neonatal Unit

(8 Posts)
MrsG2017 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:34:40

My little one was born on 13th April at 2.32am with a very quick and traumatic birth (ftm birthed from early labour to birth in 4hrs)

He had to be resuscitated a little and has had low blood sugars. He was transferrred to a neonatal unit at Christchurch women's (I love in nz) and is now with them.

He keeps having apnea 'events' they now want to discharge me and he will stay here.

Don't know why I am posting this except I am awake 4am feeling sad and wondering if anyone else on here has been through similar??

His name is Toby by the way ❤️

Lostmyemailaddress Fri 14-Apr-17 17:37:28

I was discharged the day after my dc4 was born he was pre term and in for 19 days.
Congratulations on your little boy flowers

Whyiseverynameinuse Fri 14-Apr-17 17:41:48

Congratulations on the arrival of your son OP, and I'm sorry to hear he has to stay in nicu. It can be a scary time - do you have any support to be with you? I had a pre-term baby in nicu but was allowed to stay in hospital with him for a week due to c-section. Going home alone was awful - make sure you have good support around. flowers for you and Toby.

eurochick Fri 14-Apr-17 17:43:01

I was discharged after 36 hours. My premmie was in nicu/scbu for three weeks and one day. It was hard being separated from her but my recovery was probably better at home. I hope your little one is discharged soon. X

Whyiseverynameinuse Fri 14-Apr-17 17:45:11

And if local friends and family can help with shopping, cooking, cleaning and listening while you go through this, do ask them.

Rainbow1987 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:51:17

Hello! My DD is in NICU at the moment she was born at 31 weeks on Monday! She was having apnea events on Wednesday, but it was sorted out by late weds night. What we were told is that at this gestation, the baby doesn't always breathe on his/herself in the womb, we sometimes do it for them and the apnea is them forgetting that they need to breathe for themselves. I was discharged on Wednesday and DD is still in there for the foreseeable future. Apparently the sensor for breathing isn't fully developed yet that's why. Hope you and Toby are both on the mend, and hope this helps. X

troodiedoo Fri 14-Apr-17 17:54:39

Congratulations on the birth of Toby. Thinking of you both flowers

MrsG2017 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:12:35

Thank you everyone xxx

Toby ass born 41+3 but only 6lb9 so a little small.

Sadly we live an hour and a half away from hospital so I don't think I want to go home. It's 6am now I'm going to go and see how he easy and find out more then maybe look for a cheap hotel.

We have a few friends for support, no one knows he's been born yet we've been so stressed with tests and being up here so we will tell people today.

Thank you all again xxx it's lovely hearing you all use his name 😍😍😍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now