Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 week old newborn and faint positive pregnancy test

(23 Posts)
Lucyjm84 Wed 29-Mar-17 18:36:26

Hi Everyone

I posted this in conception at first but not sure if that was the best place. Maybe this isn't the right place either!

Anyway, I'm looking for any experiences or knowledge on this subject please.

Had my 2nd baby boy 5 weeks and 2 days ago. Husband and I have had sex once (pulled out) 2 days before baby turned 3 weeks old, so 12 days ago now.

The last 5 days or so I've had some symptoms I recognise from the week before I tested positive with both my children... ovary twinges, feeeling faint, spotting, weird dreams etc. Have just had a "feeling" so did a test today and although faint, it appears to be positive!

I'm not asking IF it's possible that I could be pregnant. I know the answer to that one! If I am, I'm sure we'll be fine with it once it's sunk in!

I'm just wondering if a positive pregnancy test at this stage after birth can be entirely trusted. I'm trying to find info on if hcg levels remain raised for some time after pregnancy and birth but it's all a bit confusing and varying answers.

Thanks!

Shamoffour Wed 29-Mar-17 18:43:07

I would imagine it could be your hormones still in your system.
But you could also be pregnant.
How are you feeding? I only ask because if your are formula feeding you are extremely fertile. My midwife warned me, she said that your body knows it's given birth and isn't feeding a baby so thinks something has happened to the baby so tries to replace it.
I found this out when I got a positive pregnancy test when dc3 was 14 weeks old.
It was hard work but they are best of friends now when they are not trying to kill each other they are 3 and 2 now.

Lucyjm84 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:00:14

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, formula feeding. Breast fed for the first 5 days but didn't work out so formula since then.

Don't know exactly how to feel about it as I can't be sure it's a true positive. Going to test again Friday morning and see if it's any darker.

I've just felt exactly as I did with my 2 boys at this stage. Both times I've known (strongly suspected) I was pregnant days before a missed period or bfp. Although my body is probably still all over the place from giving birth so maybe it's tricking me with the symptoms aswell!

Going to pour my Husband a LARGE glass of wine once our eldest is in bed and show him the test. Think he's going to have a heart attack!

strawberrypenguin Wed 29-Mar-17 20:46:13

I can see a line on that test. Don't know how post natal hormones would effect one though. Trip to the GP might be in order? I'm impressed you've even managed sex with a 5 week old!

JustMyLuckUnfortubately Wed 29-Mar-17 21:16:30

OP how did he react & how are you feeling tonight?

Lucyjm84 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:54:47

Thanks for responses.

I've found so much different info online. Some saying hcg should be gone by 3 weeks after birth and some saying within 4-6 weeks. My little boy will be 6 weeks old on Monday so I don't know what to think really.

I did another test tonight (about 5hrs after the first) and I'm sure it's a tiny fraction darker. I know I need to wait a couple of days at least to really see any difference but I couldn't help myself!

Hmm, Husband took it ok. He looks a bit shell shocked to be honest but he's supportive and didn't have a melt down or anything. He keeps saying "you just can't be. Not this soon after!" but I know that it's very possible that I can be. He's worried how we'll cope with a just 2 yr old, a 9 month old and a newborn baby but I know we just will.

I already knew I definitely wanted a 3rd (at some point) but he was undecided so that doesn't help either. I think he would have gone along with a 3rd eventually but if I am pregnant now this isn't how he would have planned it at all!

Shamoffour Wed 29-Mar-17 22:08:34

Glad your oh is on board with it. If it does turn out to be positive you will cope. I had 10,4,1 and newborn so three at home with me. It was hard work but fine you muddle through somehow!
They are all really close and all the baby bit is done together plus the three younger ones enjoy doing the same things and in fairness the eldest would rather be off with her friends now anyway.

ButtMuncher Wed 29-Mar-17 22:12:35

No advice on HCG but hope all works out for you and congrats on your little boy! flowers

gamerchick Wed 29-Mar-17 22:16:34

Have to admit I crossed my legs at the thought of sex less than 3 weeks after giving birth. Bravo man. grin

Good luck OP hope everything works out the way you want.

Shamoffour Wed 29-Mar-17 22:26:15

In fairness I had stopped bleeding after 2 weeks with dc3 and had no stitches so things were pretty much back to normal.
Wouldn't have fancied it all though if I hadn't been as lucky!

Lucyjm84 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:52:36

Thanks everyone! If it is a true positive I really am happy about it. It was obviously meant to be.
I'm a bit nervous and anxious about being pregnant for pretty much a solid year and a half and the toll that might take on me and how we'll manage with 3 under 3 but I know we'll cope somehow. There'll be some practicalities we'll need to sort out, new car etc but I know once there's another little person here we wouldn't have it any other way and wouldn't be able to imagine life without them.

Getting some more tests this afternoon to see if the line is any darker. I feel like I'm pregnant and my symptoms seem clear as day as with my other pregnancies but I still can't fully get my head around it if there's a small chance it could be left over hormone.

womanwhowantstohelp Thu 30-Mar-17 13:07:33

Hope everything weirs out for you OP.

womanwhowantstohelp Thu 30-Mar-17 13:08:16

*works

Lucyjm84 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:14:29

Anyone's eyes better than mine? Do you think you can see any progression in these lines? I know I'm not leaving it long enough in between tests and just need to be patient and test again in a couple of days but I'm desperate to know if I need to get my head around another pregnancy or not!

I just thought if it looked even slightly darker then I'd get a better idea and it's probably a bfp and if it is leftover hormone in my system then it would probably get lighter every day and eventually dissapear?

1st test was yesterday about 3pm. 2nd last night at about 9pm and 3rd this afternoon at 3pm.

Thanks

SeriousSteve Thu 30-Mar-17 16:21:47

Can see a line on all three!

SeriousSteve Thu 30-Mar-17 16:23:12

Deffo seems darker on 2nd and 3rd compared to first to me too. Good luck!

PotteringAlong Thu 30-Mar-17 16:29:34

In the spirit of control for you I have just poas. DS is 6weeks and 2 days so a bit behind you but it was definitely negative (as I knew it would be as I've not had sex since he was born) so no residual hormones with me.

Congratulations flowers

SparkyBlue Thu 30-Mar-17 16:35:38

I can definitely see a line. Congratulations OP.

ShuttyTown Thu 30-Mar-17 16:40:07

When my DD (now 4 months) was about 6 weeks I did a pregnant test and it was negative so maybe HCG doesn't stay in your system that long. Congratulations!

My eyes did go wide when I read you have a 2 year old, 9 month old and a newborn!! I take my hat off to you! No way could I cope with them that close together

Lucyjm84 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:55:30

Thanks for doing that! Haha. I did have the thought yesterday "if only I'd done a test a couple of weeks ago to see if it was negative" but of course I had no reason to then!
Gulp! confused Well your result gives me something to think about then. I've got a frer left and going to try my hardest to hold off using that until Saturday morning. Should definitely be darker by then. I've spent £20 on the bloody things already!

Yep, that's how old they'd all be by the time a new baby came along. 2yrs 3months, 9/ 10 month old and then a newborn. Good lord!! blush

ButtMuncher Thu 30-Mar-17 19:59:50

Line is definitely getting darker. Tentative congrats OP!

TJDetweiler Thu 30-Mar-17 21:25:02

Congratulations OP! Could be more than 3 under 3 if it's twins grin

johendy Tue 04-Apr-17 15:46:03

Any update OP? I'm so curious (aka nosey)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now