Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Umbilical cord fell off - doctor said to clean it with detol?!

(8 Posts)
Mumchatting Sun 12-Feb-17 20:09:35

Please could someone advise me.
My daughter's umbilical cord fell off 3 days ago and has been oozing a bit (it's not smelly). It was a bit blood there today so I went to walk in centre to check.
The doctor who saw us said it doesn't seem infected, it's quite common, and to clean it with detol twice a day.
I went to pharmacy but the pharmacist has never heard of a detol used for this purpose.
They told me they only have detol for cleaning kitchen and bathroom.

Please can someone advise me as I'm lost and upset. I can't believe the doctor advised me to use detol!

What do you clean your baby's umbilical cord with?

ShatnersBassoon Sun 12-Feb-17 20:11:37

You can get a first aid Dettol, or Savlon. I'm surprised a pharmacist didn't know that, even if they didn't stock it.

You use it diluted.

Cherryskypie Sun 12-Feb-17 20:13:15

What they said ^

www.boots.com/dettol-liquid-250ml-10034480

Artandco Sun 12-Feb-17 20:13:16

They mean this

www.boots.com/dettol-liquid-250ml-10034480

MrsJayy Sun 12-Feb-17 20:14:51

I cleaned my Dds with dilutted savlon which is just the same as dettol she is 24 though so maybe older fashioned advice but dettol is an antiseptic and as long as it is dilutted won't harm your baby. Keeping it clean with salty water will do the same thing.

Cherryskypie Sun 12-Feb-17 20:42:28

And congratulations! flowers

Mumchatting Sun 12-Feb-17 21:27:38

Thank you for all the advise. I wish the pharmacist was able to help and didn't leave me with empty hands. I will buy this tomorrow and hope it will help. Thanks everyone who replied again.

TryAnotherUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 21:33:02

I used cooled boiled salt water on my ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now