Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cluster feeding newborn! Help!

(5 Posts)
Crispmonster1 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:08:56

3rd baby. 1 week old. BF going well. 4-1030 pm cluster feeding. My problem is
Knowing when to switch breasts? I'm unsure when to change when DS feeds for so long.
Also he is only sleeping on me at the moment. My DD2 was like this and I can't remember when it stopped. He sleeps in Moses basket during the day so there is hope! He just won't settle as well over night.

MoodyOne Sun 05-Feb-17 23:45:24

Hi, I swap breasts every 20 mins , (or when they feel empty (at 3 weeks it take 15-20 mins for him to empty them) x

MoodyOne Sun 05-Feb-17 23:46:29

Also have you looked up safe cosleeping ? This was the only way I got some sleep in the first two weeks ... remember they have spent 9 months inside you , they want to stay close x

FeelingForSnow Sun 28-May-17 19:59:03

I have never swapped breasts. I have been told by my midwife that at the end there is fatty milk and it can appear sometimes that there is nothing left or that they don't eat it but apparently there is that fatty milk at the end and if you take them off sooner they might not get it and feel hungry sooner.

Having said all this I'm not sure if it is actually true. I have never actually questioned it. Just followed what my midwife said.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Mon 29-May-17 15:30:43

Breasts are like a river they keep flowing they don't fully empty, you can swap breasts though if feeding that long, the foremilk and hindmilk information is a bit of a myth.

Look up DR jack Newman he has always been my go to for bf information and kindly answered an email I sent in middle of night with ds2 and our nightmare tongue tie and silent reflux.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now