Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dummy only at night? Is this possible?

(10 Posts)
Zaza1985 Tue 13-Dec-16 22:47:09

LG is 9 weeks old. She used to settle within 10-15 mins for the night but has developed uncontrollable crying past few days. It's really distressing and nothing we do helps- we feel we have tried everything.
Tonight we have given her a dummy which calmed her instantly and she fell asleep- exhausted from 2 hours of screaming.
She is fine during the day. Does anyone have any experience of using only at night as reluctant to use during day?

Nan0second Tue 13-Dec-16 22:50:17

Yes. We used a dummy only for naps and night time. We then got rid of it at 6 months because it was a hinderance at that point. It was a great sleep cue and helped her horrid reflux.
Never had it in the day when awake.

Just2MoreSeasons Tue 13-Dec-16 22:51:17

We had one that never left the bed. Was no problem to give up at around 9 months. Good luck!

Joinourclub Tue 13-Dec-16 22:52:59

Yes, we had a 'dummy for cot' only rule and that worked well. Too well. He still sleeps with it now he's three.

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Tue 13-Dec-16 22:54:52

We had a dummies for sleeping rule. Was allowed it in car if it was nap time and in bed. Worked for 3 years with no fuss!

NickMarlow Tue 13-Dec-16 22:55:48

Yes, dd had a dummy at night and for nap times, she never looked for it during the day and we never offered it. It made a massive difference to her settling to sleep and sleeping for longer at a time. We stopped her having it at 18 months when she kept throwing it out of her cot and then crying because she couldn't sleep without it. She has a comfort toy too and adjusted to sleeping without the dummy surprisingly quickly.

plannedshock Tue 13-Dec-16 23:10:52

Yep we do this, lives in the cot only taken out if they are due a nap in the car or overnight journeys. Sleep only. Worked for both of mine

AprilShowers16 Tue 13-Dec-16 23:15:28

Yes we had a dummy for night time and nap only - for 2 blissful weeks it worked a dream but he completely refuses it now 😩

kitkat321 Tue 13-Dec-16 23:21:01

We have a dummy just for sleeping for my 2 year old - that's the only time she really wants it anyway.

I do sometimes give it to her in the car but that's more to shut her up - she never stops talking which I sometimes find a bit distracting when driving.

Toobloodytired Mon 03-Apr-17 19:55:40

I give my son a dummy to get him off to sleep & then once settled, I take it off him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now