Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dealing with nipple pain

(7 Posts)
Shadowboy Sun 20-Nov-16 22:41:20

Tips? My nipples are agonisingly painful during and after feeds. All midwives have told
Me latch is great. Am using lanolin cream. How do you deal with the feeling of needle torture?

Shadowboy Sun 27-Nov-16 15:39:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shadowboy Sun 27-Nov-16 15:40:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gardencentregroupie Sun 27-Nov-16 15:41:44

Did you Google this then answer yourself OP?? Lansinoh before feeds, then coat them in breastmilk and let them air dry afterwards worked for me. Can you go to a breastfeeding support group/ la leche league meeting to get someone else to double check your latch?

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sun 27-Nov-16 15:42:20

grin grin grin
I'll try and help you both
I used Lansinoh heat therapy pads. They microwave for 20 secs then you pop them in bra. It was so helpful for me.
Lansinoh cream barely helped me and rubbing the cream over sore nips was hell when the cream was stiff. Keep it in your pocket and it'll be nice and gooey which makes it much easier to apply.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sun 27-Nov-16 15:45:04

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00O7YMW06/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480261447&sr=8-1&keywords=lansinoh+nursing+pads+therapy&pi=SY200_QL40

Pollyanna9 Sun 27-Nov-16 15:49:03

I am sorry OP but there is one reason and one reason only for sore nipples and that is a latch that isn't quite right. Sadly the latch only has to be slightly wrong and it will cause sore nips because the baby's tongue is rasping on the actual nipple. This tends to happen when they are put on (imagine this) with your aiming the nipple into the middle of their open mouth when in fact the chin needs to hit the areola first and then the nipple kinda just pops in at the last part of the movement so that the nipple itself is away from the middle/rear of the baby's tongue and it can't get rubbed like this.

Sadly the knowledge of HVs and Midwives is very very variable. Some really do know their stuff and are absolutely fantastic, but many do not. For them to tell you the latch is correct when your nipples are sore is patently incorrect.

I'd fine my nearest La Leche group or, failing that, if you're near Oxford go to the breastfeeding clinic there and see Sally Inch - that place is a haven for those struggling with latch, sore nippes or any other manner of bfeeding related trauma!!

What type of hold do you adopt on the right and what do you adopt on the left and are you right or left handed?

Typically right handed folk find it easier to feed in the traditional position on the left breast and the right breast is awkward. For right handed folk I'd suggest feeding use the rugby ball carry position (plenty of links for this on youtube I'm sure). By using this position you use the exact same hand behind the baby's head and the same movement to bring the baby to the breast so you don't have to get good with your other hand.

Hope things improve for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now