Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby is jumping through centiles

(20 Posts)
MamaRoo87 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:03:53

Hi there,

I'm after some help / advice / reassurance / a shoulder!!!!

So, my DD is now 14 weeks old and very "Bonny". She was born at 7lb10oz and in the 25th centile.

As she's grown, she's jumped up and up and up and was in the 75th 4 weeks ago.

I've just weighed her on scales at home (mainly because I am too scared of getting a lecture from the HV again) and she's now 16lb4oz which puts her in the 98th centile.

She is formula fed, and has been since birth.

At the last baby weigh clinic, the HV advised me of halving her feeds and replacing that half with just water instead. I tried, and she hated it. She screamed and screamed and wouldn't settle until I gave her the rest in milk.

My husband is 6'3 and was also a "Bonny" baby. It might be worth mentioning that she is very long as well, was 54cm at birth (98th centile) and now just below the 99.6th centile.

When we're out, people tell me that she is a "chunk" and although I know they don't mean it nastily, I can't help but feel I'm being judged.

I just feel so anxious as I don't know what to do. sad

RNBrie Fri 29-Apr-16 09:09:14

What is a "bonny" baby? I've not heard that term before?!

It is possible to overfeed formula fed babies but I've never heard a hv advise to replace half a feed with water... That sounds mad.

How many bottles a day is she having and what size are they?

My dd was the opposite, born at 98th centile, 2 weeks late. All her other measurements were 50th centile. She dropped through the centiles to 50th where she has stayed ever since. Was your dd early??

Zephyroux1 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:10:19

Hi, I'm sure someone with good advice will be along shortly but my little boy (now six months) is also very big (and has always been to be fair) what has helped me is too have some responses in mind for when people make comments. Things like 'yes he's gorgeous isn't he' or 'I know, I love big babies don't you?' It took me a while but I've come to realise people aren't being unkind, they're mostly just looking for something to say!

MamaRoo87 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:14:40

Bonny baby = chubba bubba! Hehe.

She sleeps through the night and so has 4 bottles of 8oz but she doesn't always clear them all. So in total I would say 28-32oz of formula a day. I looked at NHS guidelines and she should be on 36-40oz a day, so apparently I'm under feeding her.

She was born on her due date! Xx

Footle Fri 29-Apr-16 09:17:19

They come in different sizes, just like people. Your HV is not supposed to give that advice, btw.

KP86 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:17:59

If her height, weight and head are all on matching centile lines don't worry about it. Babies under 6 months should not be given water, only breastmilk or formula.

Some HVs are idiots. It's a well established fact. I overheard one last week tell a mother of a 7 month old to cut her milk and start giving her three meals a day in a high chair, even though the mum said the baby can't sit up yet. Seriously, I was sitting wondering if she had ever encountered a baby in real life.

MamaRoo87 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:21:29

I must admit I was shocked when she said about replacing half feed wth water - I told my mum and she went loopy!! hmm she told me that I was silly for worrying and she was so angry that the HV advised us to put her on a "diet" - for want of a better word!!! x

TheTravellingLemon Fri 29-Apr-16 09:22:41

As far as I knew as long as the height and weight centile correspond, there's not a problem. Slightly different because he's 3, but DS is 99th for weight, but 99th for height too, so not considered overweight. He was born at 50th for weight.

RNBrie Fri 29-Apr-16 09:22:45

Ha! Bonny, I see grin

4 bottles a day and sleeping through the night, I'd say you're doing an amazing job and don't change a thing.

Stop feeling anxious and start spending more time squeezing those chubby little thighs, you'll miss them when they are gone smile

Your hv is bonkers and I'd avoid speaking to him/her again if at all possible.

mouldycheesefan Fri 29-Apr-16 09:24:29

Her weight centile is in proportion to her height centile.
Can't see problem.
4x 8oz bottles per day is far from excessive.
She sounds like she is thriving.

NamelessEnsign Fri 29-Apr-16 09:28:13

I think her birth centile was incorrectly calculated; 7lbs 10 is over the 50th centile, isn't it?

My DD was 7lbs 7oz, around the 50th, and went over the 75th on breastmilk before dropping to the 30th. She's now, a few years later, healthy and thriving between 50th and 60th.

Is your DD happy and healthy? Not constipated or sick? Then it's ok to ignore the HV and stop weighing her 🙂. She sounds perfectly healthy.

You may find that things change as she weans and gets moving. But someone has to be at the far ends of the centiles!

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 29-Apr-16 09:28:26

Sounds like all is well and you are not overfeeding her on 4 bottles a day. I don't pay much heed to HVs (although do respect the reasons for their existance) and would have flat out disagreed with one telling me to give water. Don't worry, all babies are different and as long as you're not shoving the bottle at her every time she squeaks then I doubt she is overfed. Gosh I don't think I've had my 4mth old weighed in months. I go by whether she's feeding ok, wet nappies, bright eyes and smiles to tell me if she is ok.

MamaRoo87 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:32:38

She is so happy and healthy, beautiful glowing skin, and sparkly eyes - and most definitely not constipated!! In fact, just diffused a rather large nappy bomb.

Ladies, can I please thank you for your advice. I was rather scared to use a message board - as I really hate negativity and was a bit anxious!! Thank you all xx

RNBrie Fri 29-Apr-16 09:36:20

Nameless is right, her birth centile is also wrong. Closer to 50th than 25th, good spot.

divafever99 Fri 29-Apr-16 09:44:25

I am also the owner of a "bonny" baby. At birth she was on the 50th centile but after a couple of weeks jumped up to the 75th. She is 8 months but is now the same weight dd 1 was at 11 months. She isn't over fed. They are all different, and if she seems healthy and content I wouldn't worry. The comments ("ooh she's a chunk") can get a bit annoying though.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Fri 29-Apr-16 09:52:56

Birthweight has a lot to do with the placenta and lots of other 'non-baby' factors so not necessarily indicative of their 'true' centile if that makes sense. I wouldn't worry as long as height and weight are roughly proportionate, particularly if you or the father are tall. Some babies are on extreme ends of the centile chart by definition - 1 in 100 babies will be just as bonny as yours.

FWIW my breastfed on demand baby started at the 75th centile and after the initial dip he shot up to 98th and stayed there. I'm tiny and the HV kept questioning whether I really was BF on demand hmm but my husband is tall and very muscular. So as long as you're FF when baby is hungry for as long as she wants I wouldn't pay too much attention to a HV who suggests you add more water to a feed.

congrats on your baby smile

Coconut0il Tue 03-May-16 22:01:55

Agree with all the advice given. My DS1 always tracked the 50th centile, never moved off it from birth. DS2 was on the 75th centile at birth. He went up the chart past the 91st and 95th and is now above the 99th. Both EBF on demand, doing nothing different with DS2 than with DS1. They are just different.
One HV did take his Red book to be checked by another but nothing was said to me. I don't take him to be weighed that often as I think they may start to say something as he gets older. He is following his own curve and is happy and healthy. Carry on with what you are doing. You know what your DD needs best.

horseylady Mon 23-May-16 21:15:56

Same as has already been said. EBF baby here. Born on 50th centile, doubled birth weight by 12 weeks and happily tracking 98th centile. HV said to me he should have been born heavier!! I just think they have to say something!!

3littlebadgers Mon 23-May-16 21:32:33

Please don't worry. All mine were born quite petite (I'm small) and then grew very large, very quickly. Ds1 was in 6-9 month clothes at just gone 2 months! He was also chubby with lovely squidgey thighs.
The health visitor wanted to put him on the obesity register until she measured his length and realised he was even taller than he was heavy. My husband is tall and my children are at the top of the charts too. Ds1 is now 10. A good bit taller than his friends, but quite slim and athletic in build.

haquoi123 Fri 17-Jun-16 08:34:37

I'm late to the thread, but just wanted to say it's so nice to hear about other big babies! Ds is ebf and way way above the 99th centile - 9lb 1oz at birth and now 21lb 4oz at 18 weeks. I was panicking about it but his length is perfectly in proportion so have decided to enjoy it. I hope you're feeling better about it!

(hi badgers!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now